PROCHARGER

R-COBRA-R

Established Member
I've just registered so maybe this question has been brought up before, but I was wondering if anyone with a '00 R has, or considered installing a Procharger?
What other mods would be required to have this installed?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by R-COBRA-R
I've just registered so maybe this question has been brought up before, but I was wondering if anyone with a '00 R has, or considered installing a Procharger?
What other mods would be required to have this installed?

Hey!!! Another midwesterner. :D Welcome to the board, great to see another R owner from the general area.

Tell us about you and the R, do you take it to the track, or would you like to? Take a look at the thread on Road America and Road Atlanta to see some of the events we will be meeting up at.

To answer your question: It was discussed I believe last winter about blowers on the 00R, but it really didn't seem like there were many if any interested. Most of the owners in here are activly driving thier R's and using them the way they were meant to be. So pull up a chair and have fun with us.

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Welcome aboard!! Are you anywhere close to Chicago? I used to live there.

As Brian mentioned, most of us on this board (myself included) use our R's as fun street machines AND for road race track use. Ocassionally, someone in here will take their R to the drag strip just to see how the car and their skills will do?.. but in general, I think most of us recognize that this car was not made to drag, but instead feels right at home on a road racing course. Where am I going with this you ask? The R has PLENTY enough power for most drivers on a road race course. I took mine to Texas World Speedway about a month ago and had some real fun with it and I learned quite a few things that day - one of which is: I will have to get MUCH better as a driver before I will EVER get to maximize the R's power in its current form.

If you really want supercharge the R, there was one for sale on eBay a while back which was making around 500 HP at the wheels... a real monster. I actually called the Performance shop that did the work just to talk to them about the custom setup on that car, and the guy said it was extremely fast. But again, I think it just gets the R further away from what it was really built for - Road Racing.

Just my 2 cents... - your mileage may vary.

R-COBRA-R

Established Member
The R has been to several drag strips where my sons and brother drag their Mustangs and Lightning.
Been to Byron in the spring, I believe that Brian was there with his Lightning at that time.
Norwalk, Route 66, Gateway, Cordova and a few others.
Would like to get to Road America, have never road raced as there is nothing near Chicago when time allows.
The car has 800 miles.
Live in West suburban Chicago.
Ted

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by R-COBRA-R
The R has been to several drag strips where my sons and brother drag their Mustangs and Lightning.
Been to Byron in the spring, I believe that Brian was there with his Lightning at that time.
Norwalk, Route 66, Gateway, Cordova and a few others.
Would like to get to Road America, have never road raced as there is nothing near Chicago when time allows.
The car has 800 miles.
Live in West suburban Chicago.
Ted

Ted,
Ya, I remember comming over and introducing myself to you at Byron it was great to meet you. I believe your son(?) has been in here and posted a few times and updated us on your R's progress at the dragstrip.

Take it from a former drag racer, once you have taken your R to Road America, drag racing will be tainted for life. Take a look at that post I referred to above for when some of us are gona be there. Your first time will be made easier if you can enjoy it with people that have done it before.

Brian

XLR8-R

Established Member
R-CobraR, What kind of ETs have you gotten with your car and what mods if any, what tires did you run on? The best I have gotten out of mine on the original tires, exhaust, etc. is a 13.06 @ 109, with a 13.08 and 13.09 to back it up. Originally was running 13.2s-13.4s until I got more practice driving it, but I want a 12 badly.

Carter

BillsSnake

R-Cobra-R We have a 10 lb Procharger on our 97 Cobra and the list of mods that go with it are lengthly. If you want to do this then get a really competent drag racing shop to do the install and upgrade of your fuel system and chip and ignition system. We burned 4 chips till it was close to correct. Welcome aboard - some of these guys are actually OK. hehehehe:lol: :lol: :lol: :bash:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by BillsSnake
Welcome aboard - some of these guys are actually OK. hehehehe:lol: :lol: :lol: :bash:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I am one of the actually not ok's. :p :p :p :p :p

Users who are viewing this thread