Procharger Serious Belt Issues!!!

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
Well i worked on it yesterday bought a Ford Steel Tensioner i drove it for like 30 miles and it seems like the problem is fixed!
Before just by idling it would throw the belt, now it drives fine with no problems yet. So im guessing all it was, the damn tensioner was flexing which was causing the belt to shred!

I recommend anyone with a Procharger/Vortech to get one of these tensioners, they are so much stronger than the other crap!

Where did you find your steel tensioner? Part number?

Daron

Mean01
Established Member
Where did you find your steel tensioner? Part number?

parart number please, ya ive broke 4 belts this year. All from 1st gear fast acceleration and then letting off. They are shredding on the firewall side of 6 rib. Tired of it. Everything is aligned. Nobody knows. Replaced the 1 bolt tensioner once already.
:shrug:

01yellercobra

Established Member
parart number please, ya ive broke 4 belts this year. All from 1st gear fast acceleration and then letting off. They are shredding on the firewall side of 6 rib. Tired of it. Everything is aligned. Nobody knows. Replaced the 1 bolt tensioner once already.
:shrug:

They don't make a steel tensioner for the 1 bolt set ups. You're stuck with the factory tensioner or a Thumprr.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
ill copy this conversation i had with 98 saleen cobra about his belt shredding issues as well, it worked for my dads car.

To 98 saleen cobra:

my pop was running into the belt shredding issue with his 96 YSI supercharged cobra, what helped resolve the issue was buying/returning a laser alignment tool for the pulleys, those centri blowers spin fast and shred belts left and right, we were going through around the same amount of belts your talking about.

check it out, and it definitely works. Other than that, he is ordering the thumprrr custom tensioner like you mentioned to ensure the belt drive system is bullet proof.

EZ Align ® Tool - EZ Align Laser Belt Drive Alignment Tool | Gates Corporation

Re: Laser tool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 Saleen Cobra
Hey thanks for the link bud. Where did you buy it from and do you still have it?? can I possibly rent it from you if you still have it?? Thanks man

Chris
no my dad already returned it after we used it, i will tell you what he did, just found the part number and searched it, found a website that sold them and made sure the place has a good return policy and just make sure not to scratch it up, after we used it we just boxed it back up and returned it. Literally if the pulley alignment on these cars are off by even a millimeter the belt will walk off and shred. The kit is straight forward and easy to use, Be patient and make sure it is perfect, make a note on how many spacers/washers you use for each pulley in case you ever remove the pulleys/blower again which is bound to happen eventually. Just number the pulleys yourself and make a note on some paper and put it in your shop manual or your glovebox so you dont forget. This will fix your shredding problem, dont get to tight of a belt to compensate for your shredding problem, you will put to much stress on your other pulleys and ruin the bearings, ask me how i know haha. Find a nice snug belt that fits your application and make sure your pulleys are nice and lined up, you'll be good to go. Since this wont cost you any money its definitely worth it. We fought with this for years until we found the laser tool, good luck bud.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^^ Just an FYI that tool is about 1300 bucks!! I personally can't afford it lol. Maybe I can convice a shop to buy it though..

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
ok, actually my dad just kept it, i thought he returned it, this is the information on the box, Gates EA/UN/CH 91006 Drive Align Laser Tool 7468-0023 he said he paid a little over 100 bucks.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
A lot of time, it's the tensioner, not the actual belt alignment issues. Especially if you are doing a burnout or a donut and you are blipping the throttle.

What happens is that at high RPM's, the blower has a huge amount of rotational inertia, and when you let off the throttle, the blower is essentially pulling the belt through and the only place for it to give is the tensioner.. this creates a lot of slack between the blower and the alternator briefly. So, it'll skip a rib, or worse, get all tangled up.

I have a custom made blower brace that bolts up to the alternator bracket. Even though it prevented bracket flex, it still didn't eliminate the belt throwing issues. Reason: Alignment wasn't causing the belt issues. The tensioner was.

You can go to the auto parts store and buy like 3 or 4 tensioners all at once. Use a torque wrench/gauge and see which one has the most spring pressure. Use the one with the most spring pressure and return the other ones.

Or, you can drop a few hundred bucks and get an aftermarket tensioner. That should help solve your belt issues, and it'll also help solve any slippage issues as well.

Homer

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
The reason the alignment was an issue for the 96 YSI cobra was the vortech bracket the bolts on used washers as spacers to have it align properly, there was a certain amount of washers that went on each bolt to give it just the right amount of space, but it never sat right, plus the stock tensioner wasnt cutting it either, under load, the belt would just walk off, we replaced the stock tensioner with another oem tensioner. After using the laser alignment tool to get the ribs all lines up we did not experience belt slip any more. We havent even put on the thumprrr tensioner either, it is still on the list to buy when we up the boost.

wrp

Established Member
Did you pin your dampener? I had a similar problem and am convinced. What convinced me was when the dampener failed

Daron

Mean01
Established Member
A lot of time, it's the tensioner, not the actual belt alignment issues. Especially if you are doing a burnout or a donut and you are blipping the throttle.

What happens is that at high RPM's, the blower has a huge amount of rotational inertia, and when you let off the throttle, the blower is essentially pulling the belt through and the only place for it to give is the tensioner.. this creates a lot of slack between the blower and the alternator briefly. So, it'll skip a rib, or worse, get all tangled up.

I have a custom made blower brace that bolts up to the alternator bracket. Even though it prevented bracket flex, it still didn't eliminate the belt throwing issues. Reason: Alignment wasn't causing the belt issues. The tensioner was.

You can go to the auto parts store and buy like 3 or 4 tensioners all at once. Use a torque wrench/gauge and see which one has the most spring pressure. Use the one with the most spring pressure and return the other ones.

Or, you can drop a few hundred bucks and get an aftermarket tensioner. That should help solve your belt issues, and it'll also help solve any slippage issues as well.

Homer

this is a great useful knowledge filled thread on this issue. i have a novi 2000 & belts shredding on the motor side. AFTER quick deceleration on 1st gear pulls. i spaced out the bracket and bought a new $60.00 tensioner.
Belts are still getting thrown, so i just bought a turbo kit this weekend. :/
and taking off my novi 2k. gunna miss the jet noise :)
really wish i had learned this a week ago

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread