Procharger Serious Belt Issues!!!

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
I keep having belt issues with this damn procharger! I keep shredding on rib out the belt. I checked the aligment of the alternator and the blower pulley and they seem to align pretty well. Once i give it some gas it starts to tear and one rib just rips off.

Guys with 99 cobra timing cover is there any required spacers to space out the supercharger braket. I have tried different things but have had no luck!

harvboi05

Established Member
sounds like youre getting some flex when the belt is under load. are all your idlers in good condition?

use a straight edge to verify that all the pullies in the whole system are aligned well.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Im leaning more towards my alternator pulley, since its a 3" out of a ranger. Its causing it to stick out about 1/8". it aligns fine with the blower but not with the rest of the pullies.

What exatcly is a straight edge, any pics would help!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
A straight edge is a ruler.

12886.jpg

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
either the pullies are not in alignment or the procharger unit is slightly tilted.

On my install i had to make custom spacers for the bracket as the ones they gave me were completely wrong (ie: too long.) My idler spacer was at least 1/2" too long.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
How do i know if the headunit is tilted???? It seems to be sitting just fine but please explain.

EXATCTLY!!! my idler spacer was about 1/2" long as well, do you remember what was the final lenght of yours after your trimmed it?? That would help me a whole lot!

Erich

Established Member
For my D1SC, I only shimmed the alternator. There is a little spacer that comes with the kit for one part of the blower. It is rectangular and goes over two of the front cover studs. Do you have that one? It is pretty thin.
Erich

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
For my D1SC, I only shimmed the alternator. There is a little spacer that comes with the kit for one part of the blower. It is rectangular and goes over two of the front cover studs. Do you have that one? It is pretty thin.
Erich

Oh really, did you shim the alternator pulley, in or out?

I never got any type of spacers!!!

Would you be kind enought to snap some pics for me, id really appreciate it! :beer:

Erich

Established Member
I shimmed the alternator pulley out. That was not part of the kit. The other shim IS part of the kit. I was looking for a picture of it to post up but could not find it. I will look when I get home.
Erich

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
How do i know if the headunit is tilted???? It seems to be sitting just fine but please explain.

EXATCTLY!!! my idler spacer was about 1/2" long as well, do you remember what was the final lenght of yours after your trimmed it?? That would help me a whole lot!

Honestly, we trimmed it short and got it right on using 1/8" washers.

I knew it was tilted by just looking at it lol.

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
My d1sc pulley is on with the lip on the side closest to the blower, backwards from the directions IIRC. I haven't jumped a rib or shredded a belt in a year.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Honestly, we trimmed it short and got it right on using 1/8" washers.

I knew it was tilted by just looking at it lol.

Lol, you know what mine did looked tilted but i though it was only the angle i was looking at it, LOL. I also trimmed mine but i actually just cut it perfect. Today i got my new alt. pulley in and it seems much better, i did have to use a washer a little thicker to bring out the pulley just a bit.

My d1sc pulley is on with the lip on the side closest to the blower, backwards from the directions IIRC. I haven't jumped a rib or shredded a belt in a year.

My pulley also has a lip on the blower side, and no lip on the engine block side. I can't wait to get this BELT DILEMA fixed!!!!! :fm:

01yellercobra

Established Member
My pulley also has a lip on the blower side, and no lip on the engine block side. I can't wait to get this BELT DILEMA fixed!!!!! :fm:

That's how the pullies for our Cobras are designed. If the pulley had a lip on the other side it would hit the alternator.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I had a similar problem. Mine was the stock tensioner. It was flexing in and out from the block causing my belt to walk and shred.

Bought a new one at AutoZone for $50.00 problem solved...so far

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Well this morning i used a straight edge on the power steering pulley and A/C pulley, putting it against the Damper. The power steering pulley is about 1 rib stick out too far and the A/C pulley is tucked in in very minimal. There is no way to shim these things, like WTF is going on!!!!

Im really getting tire of this crap, i feel like putting this sh*t for sale already!!!!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you ever get the crank pulley set in all the way? The power steering pulley is a press on set up. You might be able to press it back a little further to get it to line up.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Well i worked on it yesterday bought a Ford Steel Tensioner i drove it for like 30 miles and it seems like the problem is fixed!
Before just by idling it would throw the belt, now it drives fine with no problems yet. So im guessing all it was, the damn tensioner was flexing which was causing the belt to shred!

I recommend anyone with a Procharger/Vortech to get one of these tensioners, they are so much stronger than the other crap!

Erich

Established Member
Just an update on the spacer I was talking about-that was from my old P600B setup, not the D1.

I got to check really good since I had an "incident" on the way home from work Thrusday. I hear some even more piercing than usual sounds and smelled a little belt. The belt I have is old. I went easy for the rest of the 25 miles home and everything seemed ok. Last mile, I took off hard and the belt snapped. Checked it out and the ford idler pulley bearings were half out, the idler was sideways and belt was wrapped everywhere. That idler also messed up the post it sits on on the timing cover-so I need a new timing cover. Driving around now with the blower bypassed...
so bottom line, I checked my manual and the actual car for that spacer. It was from my last setup with the P600B.
Erich

Whistler98

Established Member
Well i worked on it yesterday bought a Ford Steel Tensioner i drove it for like 30 miles and it seems like the problem is fixed!
Before just by idling it would throw the belt, now it drives fine with no problems yet. So im guessing all it was, the damn tensioner was flexing which was causing the belt to shred!

I recommend anyone with a Procharger/Vortech to get one of these tensioners, they are so much stronger than the other crap!

yep I bent two stock ones and even snapped one in half. I put the steel one on years ago and have not had an issue since. I just came across this post and noticed you got the steel one. I am not sure about the cobras but the earlier non-pi's and I think some of the early pi 2v's had an issue with the stock tensioners. I believe it was due to the way they were bolted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread