Procharger not making enough boost

01Tbbullitt

Established Member
I have a 2v 2001 bullitt stock with a P-1sc 3 core intercooler system, with a 3.85" ID pulley

Prochargers website says the kit should make 10lbs as with every other 2v owner I have met has made with it, http://www.procharger.com/FORD/ford_auto.shtml

The car drives well, but when you race it the boost builds so slow and only peaks at about 5 lbs.

I met with a driver with the same setup on a GT and his boost builds much faster, I know the boost builds gradually as you increase rpms but this is not gradual it is slow.

I recently installed a smaller belt, cause the old one was slipping and have the same problem.

The car wont even put you back in the seat at full throttle.

My next guess would be to check the Bypass valve to see if it is bleeding boost just wanted to see if you guys had any input.

Last edited:

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Not everyone with a 3.85 pulley is going to see 10lbs. I have a 04 gt with the 3.85 pulley and basically stock motor...longtubes, o/r x and cat back. I see about 7psi max on the street. I saw 8 on the dyno but that was revving to 6k which I don't.

5 psi definitely seems a little low...what bypass valve are you running? if there are no leaks in the piping that could be the culprit. Good luck.

Last edited:

01Tbbullitt

Established Member
Not everyone with a 3.85 pulley is going to see 10lbs. I have a 04 gt with the 3.85 pulley and basically stock motor...longtubes, o/r x and cat back. I see about 7psi max on the street. I saw 8 on the dyno but that was revving to 6k which I don't.

5 psi definitely seems a little low...what bypass valve are you running? if there are no leaks in the piping that could be the culprit. Good luck.

I have the crappy black valve they give you with the kit, I'm going to check if it is leaking boost.

02blownGT

Established Member
Its normal for it to leak some boost but if its leaking alot you have a problem.Just make sure the butterfly moves freely and that its not adjusted to stay open.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Remeber boost is a measure of restriction not always HP. If you have ported heads or better flowing exhaust, you may "see" less boost.

Bypass valve is also a good check...if you hear the valve leaking at WOT then replace it. i had to buy a new one for just that issue. Making only 3 pounds at WOT and Butt dyno could tell as well.

Also check for belt slippage and also Clean the filter on the intake.

I was having some lower boost issues and picked up 2 pounds after I used the K+N recharger kit to clean the intake filter...for Real!

01Tbbullitt

Established Member
Remeber boost is a measure of restriction not always HP. If you have ported heads or better flowing exhaust, you may "see" less boost.

Bypass valve is also a good check...if you hear the valve leaking at WOT then replace it. i had to buy a new one for just that issue. Making only 3 pounds at WOT and Butt dyno could tell as well.

Also check for belt slippage and also Clean the filter on the intake.

I was having some lower boost issues and picked up 2 pounds after I used the K+N recharger kit to clean the intake filter...for Real!

Yea, I have a catless 2.5' full exhaust and didn't take that into account, and I checked my BOV and it is fine, so I ordered a 3.4" pulley to bring up the boost. The belt is as tight as it can get, I had to change to a smaller alternator pulley to even fit it, now I will change back to original one when I get new blower pulley. But hopefully I will see 8-10 lbs now. also adding a homemade 4" power pipe with a k&N Filter, have a crappy one on there now.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Yea, I have a catless 2.5' full exhaust and didn't take that into account, and I checked my BOV and it is fine, so I ordered a 3.4" pulley to bring up the boost. The belt is as tight as it can get, I had to change to a smaller alternator pulley to even fit it, now I will change back to original one when I get new blower pulley. But hopefully I will see 8-10 lbs now. also adding a homemade 4" power pipe with a k&N Filter, have a crappy one on there now.

how is the condition of your tensioner? also you may want to put the stock alt. pulley back on to prevent premature failure by over spinning it. also IMO- your exhaust will not reduce the boost that much without replacing the seat of the pants feel as you are describing it. was the blower used when you got it?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
and I gotta say a 3.85" pulley should make more than 5#, I have ported heads, headers and full exhaust, and massive cams, and my F1a makes 20# on a 4.00" pulley blower pulley, 8" crank pulley)(yeah I know the blowers are diff. but still...)

Last edited:

01Tbbullitt

Established Member
how is the condition of your tensioner? also you may want to put the stock alt. pulley back on to prevent premature failure by over spinning it. also IMO- your exhaust will not reduce the boost that much without replacing the seat of the pants feel as you are describing it. was the blower used when you got it?

My tensioner is original to the car, the problem is not with the belt I know this for 100% sure cause of what I went through getting this belt on, the belt is as tight as it can be.

The alt pulley I changed to fit this belt it has a regulator in the alternator so it really is not a problem, I will change it when I get the smaller blower pulley to make the belt fit snug again.

I called procharger and they told me 1.5-2lb of boost loss cause of the cats in an 99-04 mustang cause they are so restrictive.

The supercharger was used when I bought it but my tuner looked it over after I installed it and its fine, I mean from what I hear about these things and what procharger has told me, they are either broken or they are not.

I don't think there is a problem with my setup I think that the 3.85" pulley was just not enough for my setup. Every setup is different, even the same blower on a different motor. So you really can't compare unless it is the same as your own car.

Users who are viewing this thread