Procharger guys help. Grinding sound coming from within.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
So I just had a mechanic over my house and I was told the idler pulley was bad which it was. So we swapped the idler pulley out and once we started the car it still made a grinding sound and the mechanic put his ear up to the supercharger and it sounds like it’s coming out of the procharger. What do you guys think you could be within the supercharger a bearing? And how would I go about getting this fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Try loading it on YouTube and posting the link on here.

Looking this up on google seems numerous people have similar grinding type sounds coming out of there’s and and many say it’s normal but I’ve had this since 2008 and this grind noice is new. I changed oil in it every 3k roughly also.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Honestly that sounded just like my last two Prochargers. I'm guessing the clicking was your injectors.

Coosawjack

Established Member
I had lotsa problems with ProChargers on my 2004 Marauder......grinding, leaking but the funny thing is none of the rebuilds blew up over almost 190,000 miles!!:cool:

Their idlers are junk and I went to Billetflow for strong and long lasting idler pullies!!;)

I was always curious whether or not Vortech is better??o_O

BTW.....this guy rebuilds 'em better for half the price!!:)

Jon Bond Performance, The Worlds Premier Supercharger Rebuilder and Parts Store

Good Luck!!:D

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I had lotsa problems with ProChargers on my 2004 Marauder......grinding, leaking but the funny thing is none of the rebuilds blew up over almost 190,000 miles!!:cool:

Their idlers are junk and I went to Billetflow for strong and long lasting idler pullies!!;)

Wow so u had all kinds of noises etc but it lasted u 190k nice!

01yellercobra

Established Member

I remember my D1 started leaking not too long after I bought it. But I bought it used. I never had the grinding issue. I had good luck with their idlers, but a friend of mine didn't. I went with a Metco piece when I swapped to the 8 rib with the F1A.

I don't know if I'd say Vortech is better or worse. I'm not a fan of the bracket set up personally. At least for the single bolt covers. From what I've been told the bracket set up for the 3 bolt covers is a lot better.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I remember my D1 started leaking not too long after I bought it. But I bought it used. I never had the grinding issue. I had good luck with their idlers, but a friend of mine didn't. I went with a Metco piece when I swapped to the 8 rib with the F1A.

I don't know if I'd say Vortech is better or worse. I'm not a fan of the bracket set up personally. At least for the single bolt covers. From what I've been told the bracket set up for the 3 bolt covers is a lot better.

Lotta different opinions and thoughts especially when I look up online as prochargers apparently make odd noises at some point and it’s not uncommon

01yellercobra

Established Member
Lotta different opinions and thoughts especially when I look up online as prochargers apparently make odd noises at some point and it’s not uncommon

It usually comes down to people like whatever they're running. For a centri set up I would go with a Procharger every time. I was really close to putting my F1A on my 04.

Users who are viewing this thread