Procharger F1D Boost Levels

brandon_s0854

Established Member
I recently had an F1D installed and the boost levels seem a little low to me. I know there's one or two other people on this site that are running one of these. Also, if you're running an F1A, I'd like to here your numbers around 4000 RPM. The two blowers are very similar in their cfm output.

Here's the setup:

3.5" Cold Air Intake
3" Intercooler Piping
Treadstone TR1045 Intercooler
01 Cobra Intake and .5" spacer
1 5/8" LT Headers
2.5" Exhaust
Stock Block

Lower Pulley = 7.5"
Blower Pulley = 3.85"
Boost = 7psi @ 3800rpm

I'm currently having issues with MAF and was told by the tuner not to run it past 4000 RPM, so I don't know what it's making on the dyno or what the boost levels are above 4k RPM. At that rate, I'm only going to be looking at around 15psi at redline. Seems low for a nearly maxed out F1D.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are the heads ported? I'm assuming the F1D has the same step up ratio as the F1A. Prochargers tend to pick up around 4k. So you're having to let off right as it gets into it's sweet spot. Wait until you're tuned and able to do a full run then see where you're at.

brandon_s0854

Established Member
Are the heads ported? I'm assuming the F1D has the same step up ratio as the F1A. Prochargers tend to pick up around 4k. So you're having to let off right as it gets into it's sweet spot. Wait until you're tuned and able to do a full run then see where you're at.

Heads are not ported to my knowledge. It's possible that they were ported by previous owner.

F1D has same step-up ratio as F1A. It's supposed to have better low/midrange than F1A, but not as high peak numbers, which makes me scratch my head even more.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Im going based on a Procharger F1.

Every car is different, the only real way to know how much boost your getting is by throwing it on the dyno and get a good tune.

Last edited:

Helomech74

Established Member
So, are you running a 15% OD crank pulley or did you measure the pulley differently? I'll assume it's an actual 7.5" 15% OD pulley, if this is the case, at 3800 rpm you are only spinning that blower 39900 rpm which is about 60% of it's peak rated rpm. Basically, that thing isn't even working yet. At 6200 rpm you will be spinning that blower to it's peak rating of 65K rpm (I've spun mine to 72K on several occasions with no issues). What's the compression of the engine? You said stock motor, but didn't specify which engine. I've run several different F series blowers on mod motor cars and the boost is going to be different for every combo out there. You guys are shutting it down just as the blower is starting to work, only way to know for sure what it's going to do is to get the issues taken care of and see what it'll do on a full pull.

brandon_s0854

Established Member
So, are you running a 15% OD crank pulley or did you measure the pulley differently? I'll assume it's an actual 7.5" 15% OD pulley, if this is the case, at 3800 rpm you are only spinning that blower 39900 rpm which is about 60% of it's peak rated rpm. Basically, that thing isn't even working yet. At 6200 rpm you will be spinning that blower to it's peak rating of 65K rpm (I've spun mine to 72K on several occasions with no issues). What's the compression of the engine? You said stock motor, but didn't specify which engine. I've run several different F series blowers on mod motor cars and the boost is going to be different for every combo out there. You guys are shutting it down just as the blower is starting to work, only way to know for sure what it's going to do is to get the issues taken care of and see what it'll do on a full pull.
Thanks for the informative reply man. This is a stock 03 cobra block: 8.5 compression. I know that 40k rpm isn't near its peak, but Procharger made it sound like this blower comes on a lot sooner than the other f1's.

It's also good to know that you've taken it above 70k without problems. I think I'm gonna throw a 3.4" pulley on it and go e85. Any opinions on this?

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Thanks for the informative reply man. This is a stock 03 cobra block: 8.5 compression. I know that 40k rpm isn't near its peak, but Procharger made it sound like this blower comes on a lot sooner than the other f1's.

It's also good to know that you've taken it above 70k without problems. I think I'm gonna throw a 3.4" pulley on it and go e85. Any opinions on this?

Trust me, you don't want to over spin these prochargers, they are really sensitive to over spinning. Procharger has been having many failures right now, and the repair cost isn't pretty. If it was me id keep it around 2000 below the max. speed, if not get a bigger blower.

Helomech74

Established Member
No issues over spinning the F series blowers buy about 10% or so. I've been doing this a long time and running prochargers the whole time. I wouldn't run the 3.4 pulley with a 7.5" lower though. That would have the blower spinning around 81K at 6800rpm, which is too much. If you want to run a 3.4 pulley, you're going to have to replace the crank pulley with something smaller (no real need for an 18% OD pulley when running the F series blowers as the step ratio makes a big difference.) The low compression of the stock block is going to make a big difference down low, so it's going to feel sluggish until the blower starts making power. Personally, I'd ditch the 7.5" lower, go with a stock 6.5" and run a 3.6 on the head unit. At 6800 rpm you'd be spinning the blower to around 67K or so.

The F1D on the mod motor really isn't that much different then a D1SC, just makes boost a little quicker due to the step ratio.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I had a 01 intake on my setup.. You need to spin the blower man. The car will still be pulling even if it levels off. Mine leveled off at 5700 but never dropped before 600rwhp all the way to 7500rpm..

brandon_s0854

Established Member
I had a 01 intake on my setup.. You need to spin the blower man. The car will still be pulling even if it levels off. Mine leveled off at 5700 but never dropped before 600rwhp all the way to 7500rpm..

Spinning the blower isn't a problem. With my current pulley, it'll be right around 62k RPM when the engine is at 6000 RPM. If and when I go to a 3.4", it'll be around 70k. I was just wondering if the low/midrange boost is inline with where it should be at this point. I completely understand I'm not spinning the blower much at this point, but I have to wait until the tune is finished.

Users who are viewing this thread