Procharged 99 - 2 Questions

PureSound15

Established Member
I searched, but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

My car sounds as if there is a cricket orgy under the hood. This developed after I got on it a bit in 2nd. The squeak goes away if I spray some brake cleaner on the ribbed portion of the belt so I'm assuming my tensioner is garbage, so I'll replace the tensioner (and belt, even though there's no aparent damage?).

In my search I found the $400 tensioner which is more than I need. I'd like to go the Ford steel tensioner route - but where have you guys found them? Any local auto parts places cary a steel version, or will I need to buy that right from Ford? N00b question I suppose, but I've never had to deal with that part.

Also - re-use the belt that's rather new (within 8k, car only has 20k on it). Suggestions for a belt? (Length & brand?).

Thanks fellas. :beer:

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Are all your pullies lined up correctly? I know it is a pain in the ass to get everything lined up 100% with the Procharger kits. Mine is still not 100% spot on and causes the cricket squeeking noise.

PureSound15

Established Member
Are all your pullies lined up correctly? I know it is a pain in the ass to get everything lined up 100% with the Procharger kits. Mine is still not 100% spot on and causes the cricket squeeking noise.

They were all aligned, and now I believe the tensioner is bent, and throwing it out of whack.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Describe this sound a little better. I just solved a problem I had with a chirp developing after going WOT, but then going away after normal highway driving.

PureSound15

Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk1n0KFz_H8"]YouTube- Blah[/ame]

I drove it less than a mile since it happened, but like I said, it goes away with some brake cleaner on the belt. I just assumed something was out of alignment, and figured my tensioner finally gave.

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
It sounds like an idler is on its way out or the belt is stretched snd loose. I used to get that same sort of noise, not as bad though, on my PC 99 when the belt was getting stretched. It would grow an inch after every weekend at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread