Procharged 5.4 Question

Bybowtie

BOOSTED
Established Member
Has anyone done this? People have done turbos but I want to stay centri. If you have this setup could you post some info or pics. My plans are to build a 5.4 and put at least a F1 or F2 on it for street and track use. Is there a specific 5.4 to go with? Like out of a truck or some other veficle.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I also need to know if I would have to get the computer that goes to a 5.4 or if the one with my 4.6 2V will work.

You can use your current computer. It's basically there to load the new tune into. A guy in my club did something similar. He's running a 5.4 in N/A form with 2V heads. He bought the shortblock from MMR and had his stock heads worked over. I'm running a 5.3 with a D1. It's a lot of fun. Definitly more torgue then a stock 4.6.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
You can use your current computer. It's basically there to load the new tune into. A guy in my club did something similar. He's running a 5.4 in N/A form with 2V heads. He bought the shortblock from MMR and had his stock heads worked over. I'm running a 5.3 with a D1. It's a lot of fun. Definitly more torgue then a stock 4.6.

Is your 5.3 built on the 4.6 block or is it a 5.4 block??

You can bore and stroke the 4.6 (281ci) to 322ci (5.3L). On the teksid and other aluminum block.

You can go up to 324ci with the new BOSS modular block because it's iron and doesn't need sleeves.

Personally I'd go that route rather than all the intake and header, etc. etc. issues of running the 5.4. Unless you're gonna make it a 5.8....:bowdown:

Gadrifter

2valve2fear
Established Member
i actually had a 2001 5.4 2v in my 98'gt but it had the charged takin off. i know if u stay with a 2v or 3v everything should go in pretty easy and if its a 2v i know the computers dont have to be changed. But if i could do it all over i would go with a kmember and a 4v becuase they already make around 400 stock na!

tistan

Established Member
A friend of mine had a 96 gt witha 5.4 and a vortech s trim. It was a lightning longblock with the lightning intercooler and a custom intake. It hauled ass, but you could tell it was nose heavy.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I suppose if you could use a timing cover from a 4.6 then you could bolt on the blower braket that is specific to that timing cover. Can you use a timing cover from a 4.6 with a 5.4? I assume you can but I've never done any reaserch involving a 5.4 swap.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
OP PM birdman941. He has done a few 5.4 swaps and has a wealth of knowledge on the subject. There is a thread in the sn95 Cobra section right now about 5.4 swaps.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is your 5.3 built on the 4.6 block or is it a 5.4 block??

You can bore and stroke the 4.6 (281ci) to 322ci (5.3L). On the teksid and other aluminum block.

You can go up to 324ci with the new BOSS modular block because it's iron and doesn't need sleeves.

Personally I'd go that route rather than all the intake and header, etc. etc. issues of running the 5.4. Unless you're gonna make it a 5.8....:bowdown:

It's a resleeved teksid. It actually comes out to 323" because of the bore size. It slid right into place. It looks like a normal 4.6.

chip6990

Established Member
A 4.6 cover will not work on a 5.4 block. (taller deck height)
You want a 97-99 block and crank(F7E casting is factory forged)
A 4.6 computer will work and the exhaust will be the choke factor. Unless you build custom headers. A Procharger bracket won't work. But you can use it as a template to make 1.
I was in the process of building a 5.4 2V but I lost my job and gd to sell it all. The heads really need port work, or the new trick flow heads would be killer.
If I ever get back on my feet, I will have a 5.4 big bore with trick flow heads and a D1 or F1

5.4GT

Established Member
i got a 5.4 fully built with a vortech S trim on 10 psi... there is a thread with my dyno sheet... scott beer tunned it at mustang specialties...my 5.4 came out of a 03 expidtion... i blew it up N/A i kept the stock forge crank that came with the 5.4. modd max rod,diamond pistons... apr head studs.. i beat my car light to light and its been holding for a year now... im actually going to call up scott within the next few months i want to get up to 15psi and go blow through maf...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread