prochamber issues

ph363

Established Member
I bought my car with a prochamber and flowmaster 3" cb already on the car. After doing some research I am thining that the prochamber on the car is not for a cobra. There reason for this is: the inlet tubes hit the transmission crosmember causing a rediculous rattle at various rpm's/engine loads, the prochamber is not painted black like all others I have seen for 03/04 cobras, and it hangs rediculously low (like 2 inches above the ground). I cant see mac offering something this rough, so I am assuming that this is just another corner cut by the previous owner.

Is this normal? Would an x pipe make this set up any louder?

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
the first prochambers were grey in color and not black. Can you adjust it away from the crossmember?

tv's 03

Established Member
I don't understand. It hangs low, but hits the trans crossmember. That would indicate its too high.

Yea, I have old MAC H pipe, its grey which was HTS coated. Now their durablack. Anyone know which is better HTS or durablack?

Oh and BTW, the o/r H on my car fits very well. Back when the 99 and 01 were fairly new, we determined the prochamber to be a marketing hype to compete with the hype X pipes were getting and the standard H pipe actually made equal and possibly more power

Last edited:

ph363

Established Member
I cant adjust anything on it. I know it sounds strange....ill try to get some pictures and post them tonight. From you responses, im positive that it isnt the right prochamber for the car.

grabsand

Established Member
P here is the anwser you have been looking for
The H pipe is from a 03 cobra owner. To answer your question, no corners were cut.I just went about it the economical way and got some used parts. Not everyone can afford all new parts with a baby.The H pipe I bought used. I had to have the flow tubes customized to fit the H pipe and the mufflers were free, so I was not about to go and order a 100 dollar set of flow tubes from Flowmaster. I had a custom exhaust shop fab up the flowtubes, and because the flanges would not line up to connect the flowtubes to the H. They did a weld job right to the H. That would explain the adjustments are not as expected. Keep in mind there was no rattle when I had it, that might all be due to the hitting of an object and damaging the H, and causing lots of issues with the alignment. It hangs low because now that you lowered the car, that could cause an issue as well. Keep in mind it was a 4 x 4 before. Just my advice, but a new H to replace the damaged one and a new catback of your choice..

ph363

Established Member
yea, babies are expensive. The flow tubes and welding looks pretty good. To be honest, it has been rattling for a long time; even before it was lowered and before it was hit by anyhting.

The position of the H in relation to the body/transmission seems to be correct. This is why I question if the H is actually for an 03. Even if I was able to adjust it, the inlet tubes would still hit the transmission crossmember. Are the inlet tubes that connect to the manifolds original? There has to be something else going on here.

Thanks for your reply.

Users who are viewing this thread