prochamber installed/somethings not right!

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
First all, I just installed my prochamber o/r pipe yesterday. Wow, it sounds really "healthy"!!! It improved the sound 100%--its has a really deep sound to it. So everything is great until I go to experience the power gain......it lost alot of power in the lower rpm range. In addition to that problem, its less throttle responsive! I took back and parked it---reset the computer by disconnecting the battery terminal but it still runs like crap!!! :shrug: I checked the install--no leaks. I talked to another "mustang guy" and he said the computer maybe "relearning" the airflow or something. So guys I need alittle help on this one-----O I forgot to mention, it backfired once under heavy throttle. Please help

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Did you plug the 02 sensors in?

I know it's kind of one of the DUH!! questions but that could cause some of the problem. Are you receiving a MIL?

If it's backfiring that's a sure sign of a miss. Double check especially the connection of the mid-pipe to the exhaust manifolds that there aren't any leaks. My "guess" on the backfire would be that something is causing you to dump fuel in to the car and raw fuel ignited in your pipes.

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
Ya bought some MIL Eliminators to make sure the check engine did not come on. Could this pipe made my car run too rich? You said something about dumping fuel. It never back fired before. There has to be something wrong---do cars with o/r pipes tend to backfire?

Last edited:

IZZY

Established Member
Yes, the prochamber could have your car running rich. Though, this is the first time that I've read of a prochambered car backfiring (not that it hasn't happened to to others). The computer typically adjusts itself (to the greatest extent possible without the benefit of tune) by allowing it to run at idle for 20 minutes or so followed by switching the A/C on and allowing it to run an additional 10 minutes or so. Afterwards, driving it for a couple of hundred miles or so allows the computer to relearn its strategy. Given the extent of your mods, your car will probably require a tune.

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
Ok so hopefully a chip will help.....sounds like more $$ toward my ride! Just gives me another excuse LOL! I let the car run yesterday for about 30 minutes in order to eliminate some of the exhaust smell. I'll have to run around a little more this weekend and see how thing pan out. So now that I might be in the computer chip market could someone point me the right direction?

IZZY

Established Member
If possible, I would stay away from a chip and have it dyno tuned using a predator or other tuning device (whatever your tuner is comfortable with).

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
I just heard tonight that they are they maybe running lean! I really need to get to the bottom of this, please help! I am kind of new to "tuning". What do i need to do?

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
adding a mid pipe shouldnt make your car run lean. and if it were lean you would notice power gain more than power loss.

i personally think its in your head.

take it out again.
how often do you drive it?
i know some days i get in my car and think this thing really isnt that fast.
and others i get in and think i can barly control it.

dont hate. its just my thought
J

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
i personally think its in your head.

LOL!

After I installed my prochameber, things were fine. Check at the front of your car and make sure there are no leaks in the intake tract as well and everything is plugged in.
Barring that, an unplugged O2 or one that got damaged during removal/install, or a damaged wire would be my next thoughts.

And, to be certain, you did put the MIL eliminators on the REAR o2 sensors, correct?

I seem to recall hearing that some people experienced backfires when going to catless mid-pipes. I have never experienced it, however.

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
thanks alot for the help I'm going to put it on the rack today and see if I can't solve this problem. No SLow SVT---I'm not hating man.....just alittle concerned that my car lost power! Thanks for you 2 cents anyways

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
sure its not just popping? Not backfiring?

If you had an exhaust leak you should be able to hear it. Did you reuse the stock gasket or did you get a new one?

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
Just got it off the rack alittle while ago. Looks like my wiring was crap. I redid it and it helped out alot! The MIL eliminators I bought required some splicing. No exhaust leaks and yes I used new gaskets Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread