problems with cam install

lunadiver

Established Member
I just got done putting cams in may car and just put the crank pulley on now its hard to turn and metal shavings from the timing cover are coming off and a ticking sound. the engine turned fine before i istalled the pulley. The ticking sound sounds like its coming from the crank pully i don't really notice it up by the heads and only in the front so i'm assuming its not ptv clearance issues. the sound is also loudest under the car by the crank pulley. I used an installer to put on the pulley and reused the old bolt. is it possible to press on the pulley too far?
also the car is running fine other than some idling issues as i haven't had it tuned yet.
Thanks.

silvercyanide

The Apprentice
Established Member
The crank pulley sounds like it isn't on straight. Not an uncommon problem. How did you put it back on? Another problem may be the pulley (harmonic balancer) has slipped and is no longer balanced. Again, not an uncommon problem.

Sounds like you need to take it off and check it to make sure it hasn't slipped or begun to separate. If it looks good and passes a straight edge test, then put er back on, just make sure its done evenly. You can rent an installer from Oreilly or Advance if you want to be more accurate with the install.

lunadiver

Established Member
Well I found out the issue, I just made a dumb mistake. I put it on with the installer also but, I thought i had a Windsor engine as i was misinformed and turns out i have a romeo and needed a spacer to go with the crank gears. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread