problems with Bassani exhaust system

RedSnake

Mustang Purist
Established Member
I finally had some time yesterday to install the Bassani catted X-pipe and catback systems I got week before last. I took the entire stock exhaust off first then installed the Bassani parts from the exhaust manifold back. In doing so, I encountered 2 problems; one with each system.

Catted X-pipe problem:
With the catted X-pipe, I followed the Bassani directions and very carefully installed the right manifold pipe so that the bolt holes were precisely centered on the manifold studs. The right cat connects to this pipe with a slip joint and on my car the positioning of the manifold pipe put the cat almost touching both the floorpan and the transmission crossmember! Even with rotating the cat for maximum clearance from both, I only have about 1/8" gap from each! I haven't driven it yet, but I'm VERY concerned about the amount of heat transferred to the underlayment and carpet. The left side cat is fine with at least 1/2" clearance all around. I'm convinced the right manifold pipe is made incorrectly because not only is the right cat too close, but the x-pipe itself is rotated slightly up on the right side.

Catback problem:
After installing the catback, I discovered that the right exhaust tip extends a full 1/2" farther back from the lower valence the the left one! That's a BIG difference and it makes the system look cheezy! I checked the two transverse hangers on both sides and they are all pointed straight down so it is not an adjustment problem. I might be able to slide the left side back 1/2" to make them match, but I'm concerned that would swing the hangers enough to bring the left tip even closer to the valence (the left side is already higher than the right). I also noticed that the transverse section of the right tailpipe is further forward than the left one. This means that the distance from the centerline of the transverse section to the end of the tip is almost a full INCH longer on the right than on the left!

In Conclusion:
I bought these two systems because everyone raved about how well engineered they were. Laying on the ground, they look great, especially compared to the stock system. But I am a little miffed about the installed fit on this VERY EXPENSIVE exhaust.

Anyone got any suggestions? I am not going to run on the street without a cat so that is not an option. I'm also only willing to do reversable (i.e. bolt-on) mods to the car so gluing heat shielding material to the floorpan is not an option either.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Users who are viewing this thread