Problems with 2009 gt500. Hoping it all relates to a broken Metco idler pulley

Islandcat

Established Member
Guys,

The last few times I have used my car there have been some small problems that culminated in a big problem today. Over that time my car has had some rough starts( not all the time ) that I would have to correct by reving it up. Then my ac and heater especially would not blow out cold or hot air unless I revved it up a good bit. Then today as I was riding I noticed some moisture hit my windshield. I realized it was coming through my hood vents. Coolant!!!!! Damn it. I look at temp gauge and it is pegged. I pull over and pop the hood and first thing I notice is idler pulley is completely broken off. Would that have been causing all of those problem cause of excessive belt slip not turning the accessories good enough.

And how hard is it to put a new one on.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
What are all your mods? Also send pics of the issues to better help you

Islandcat

Established Member
Mods are a 2.6 pulley cold air induction and tune. Been having that setup since December 2010. I don't have a pic but the pulley bracket broke. The bracket is still attached to the engine but the pulley is in my hand right now lol

Islandcat

Established Member
I was looking at my two coolant tanks and the fluid in my radiator tank is not moving around at all, but the coolant in my intercooler tank is moving around. Does that mean there is a pump that is out for my radiator?

Islandcat

Established Member
I don't see nothing cut, maybe it's just a coincidence to have these problems all at once. Like I said I don't see any coolant moving in the plastic radiator tank. Is that normal? If it should be moving I guess that would be some kind of pump( water pump maybe ) that has gone out.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear about what happened, I have not heard of this happening but hey shit happens, anyway get that pulley fixed and make sure no other ones are messed up. good luck

Islandcat

Established Member
Well got my car fixed. It had a cut in the radiator hose. Enough coolant was lost to where the water pump wouldn't prime anymore. They fixed that up and everything seems to be working now.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Well got my car fixed. It had a cut in the radiator hose. Enough coolant was lost to where the water pump wouldn't prime anymore. They fixed that up and everything seems to be working now.

Glade everything got fixed

Islandcat

Established Member
The shop didn't tell me. They just said it had a small cut that made it leak. I asked them if they thought that the idler pulley breaking may have got thrown into the hose, but they said they wasn't sure. It just had a small cut and it cost a lot of money to fix. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread