problems under hard accel.

Cuatrocam

Established Member
I just installed a Novi 1000 (6psi) in my 88 gt (5-speed) and I am trouble under hard acceleration. when I am driving hard my car suddenly loses power at 3500rpm's and starts to detonate and won't go any higher. but when I am cruising and let the gas in slowly it will go all the way to redline without a problem. could this be a timing issue? please lead me in the right direction

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I had the same problem. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355310

In that thread I also could swear that it was detonation but its not. You probably have a bad belt tensioner. Its what FINALLY fixed my problem after going through 2 belts. I know I know if you SLOWLY get on it you wont hear the sound its just under HARD acceleration. Mainly 2nd gear pulls. That noise is the belt jumping when that tensioner locks up. When you take the old tensioner off im sure you will see little "ripples" on the surface. Evidence that a belt was going crazy on it. I had my timing backed waay off and everything trying to fix it. Killed my power and after I fixed the problem I had them add timing back. Its actually pulls MUCH better now. You should see it making boost faster and pulling harder all the way with the new tensioner. :pepper:

Cuatrocam

Established Member
LS1Killer said:
I had the same problem. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355310

In that thread I also could swear that it was detonation but its not. You probably have a bad belt tensioner. Its what FINALLY fixed my problem after going through 2 belts. I know I know if you SLOWLY get on it you wont hear the sound its just under HARD acceleration. Mainly 2nd gear pulls. That noise is the belt jumping when that tensioner locks up. When you take the old tensioner off im sure you will see little "ripples" on the surface. Evidence that a belt was going crazy on it. I had my timing backed waay off and everything trying to fix it. Killed my power and after I fixed the problem I had them add timing back. Its actually pulls MUCH better now. You should see it making boost faster and pulling harder all the way with the new tensioner. :pepper:
i'll def. look into this:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread