Problems Removing Lower Crank Pulley

Much2GQ4U

SVT Poster
Established Member
I purchased a 4lb pulley some time ago. With business travel, and warm winter weather I have spend my weekends riding the Harley. I decided to finally schedule an appointment at a local truck mod shop that I know the owner of. They spent 8 hours today trying to remove the stock pulley. I showed them the instructions found on RPM outlet's web page and specifically told them it was left hand turn. In summary:

They tried using the breaker bar with no luck, then tried to use a quick "crank" over of the engine to break it free.. no luck. They pulled out the ingersol-rand air gun that makes up to 900ftlbs of torque.. still nothing. They heated up the bolt with a little torch...tried the air hammer again and still no go....

what's the deal?

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
Much2GQ4U said:
I purchased a 4lb pulley some time ago. With business travel, and warm winter weather I have spend my weekends riding the Harley. I decided to finally schedule an appointment at a local truck mod shop that I know the owner of. They spent 8 hours today trying to remove the stock pulley. I showed them the instructions found on RPM outlet's web page and specifically told them it was left hand turn. In summary:

They tried using the breaker bar with no luck, then tried to use a quick "crank" over of the engine to break it free.. no luck. They pulled out the ingersol-rand air gun that makes up to 900ftlbs of torque.. still nothing. They heated up the bolt with a little torch...tried the air hammer again and still no go....

what's the deal?

get a bigger breaker bar, and make sure the engine is locked down good. I do not use that bullshit strap the vendors send you. I use the OTC tool that locks the flywheel in place where your starter bolts up. the one the manual says to use. I think its better.

LightningMAS

Banned
breaking the stock pulley is so easy.. and yes its left hand turn, be sure to take the pulley brackets off first before u take that middle allen off..

very easy job, just got to be patience and after u get it all done, u will love what it does! :)

Much2GQ4U

SVT Poster
Established Member
I just dont get why the bolt wouldnt budge. Are there any better instructions to do this other than the ones found on RPM outlet. They didnt send anything to lock the motor in place.

Users who are viewing this thread