Problems cutting out

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra with a MMR 5.0 motor swapped in back in June (5-6 months ago). When i first got the car back, it would barely cut out at the very top of the rpms, but not bad at all. At first, I just thought my timing was a lil retarded and runnin a lil lean and needed a tune for the new motor. Since then the cutting out has gotten progressively worse and today it was REALLY bad. At about 3800-4000 rpms the car will just cut out and not go, the tachometer needle will just stay stagnate and the engine sounds like there is no combustion. This leads me to believe I have a more serious problem than just needing a tune.

My last car was a 2000 svt contour that had a returnless style fuel system. It had the same symptoms and felt the same as what my car is doing now. I replaced the fuel pump and the car ran great. I don't know what kind of fuel system my cobra has, or if that has anything to do with it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I would like to make the right diagnosis before I go and spend $400 on a tuner and tune. Has anyone experienced the same problems with their cobra? If it is a fuel pump that I need, should I go with the stock fuel pump or something different? Thanks in advance guys.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
under a minute doesn't count.:poke: :poke:

That is classic symptoms of either plug wires or fuel pressure screwed up.
I've had it do that with a bad FPR and a cut O-ring on the FPR but more often than not its the wires.

Did you change plugs lately?

Last edited:

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
I've changed the plugs twice in the past two months, the first time because I wanted to check the gap of what my install mechanic set them at and then agian about 3 weeks later. Both times they were white hot indicating the lean condition, but for some reason I just don't think it's the plug wires. Is there any way I can test to see that the wires are working properly, or that my coil packs are working properly? I sure hope it is, because I'll be gettin screamin' demon coils and live wires ASAP!!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Odds are if you changed plugs it is the wires.

Every time you fool with them the screw up.

FWIW, Stock coil packs are a great set up. Spend that money elsewhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread