Problems after 4:10 install (vibration and whine)

mystickb1996

Established Member
Alright I need some insight, I had 4:10s installed after taking 4:10s out and putting 3:73s in for kb setup then put a t trim on this year and figured I'd go back to 4:10s. Yes 3 sets of gears and the 4:10s are new this time round again. After the install I drove the car and it's whining on decel and at low speeds it makes some weird light clunking sound in the rear when on and off throttle. The worst part is on a few pulls I did above 90-100 up to 130 it vibrates terrible. At 130 I threw it in neutral to see if it would go away but didn't. When I installed the 3:73s earlier this year I replaced everything. (Bearings,crush sleeve, strange axles, new diff, alu ds) needless to say I'm fed up and this time around I didn't have time to install the 4:10s so had a shop do it and am now dealing with this issue.
thoughts? Pinion depth?
Thanks for any help guys

mystickb1996

Established Member
Yes I have a aluminum drive shaft. I'm thinking the same thing, the install was done incorrectly. Honestly I'm thinking the crush sleeve was not crushed properly or all the way, then doing some wide open pulls crushed it from force on the pinion. I'm just taking a guess but I have had this issue when crushing the sleeve as it took more force then expected. This would cause a lot of slop and vibration as I'm experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread