problem....

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
something is def. wrong. I can no longer launch. The rearend hops and acts crazy as hell. And reverse feels screwed up to. it seems fine after you go easy in first, but I can't launch at all, wheel hop is crazy. It's a solid rear by the way. Any ideas? Is it the rearend, tranny, suspension?? It never did this before....

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
quad shocks? Not sure what ya mean? It has kyb shocks in the back, one on each side... i took it to my dads friends shop, put it on the lift, and everything was tight and fine. And it definitely isnt the rearend or tranny, cuz they work fine except for launch. i cant do a burnout at all, just hops and vibrates like crazy. Was supposed to go to the track saturday, but didnt want to since i cant launch.

01vert

Established Member
check the control arm bushings again, guessing one is wrecked and allowing the arm to move under acceleration. Wont be hand loose, you have to look for a bad bushing

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
There is a 5th shock on solid axles called the quad shock or "helper" shock. I'm not sure the exact side it is on, I believe on the passenger, but make sure its there!

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
There is a 5th shock on solid axles called the quad shock or "helper" shock. I'm not sure the exact side it is on, I believe on the passenger, but make sure its there!

I can guarantee its not. The only thing I have is one shock and one spring on each side, then the 2 controls on top of the axle.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
I had a similiar problem on my old car with solid, hopped like crazy. One shock mount was loose so the shock could be pushed about 2-3mm. Snapped an axle due to that in the semi finals :(

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
quads should be on both sides. Although I ditched then on my fox-body for more tire room and never had any hop.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Quad shocks definitely help with the wheel hop. And if you need more tire room, you can always turn them upside down.

dec322

Established Member
My understanding is that all SRA cars have/need quad shocks. I had them on my foxbody (it is both sides).

Did this just start happening? I don't know if it the problem could only be quad shocks if you were able to do a burnout last week with the same setup.

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
well I tried it again last night after double checking all the suspension in the rear was tight. Well went to launch and vibrated like hell, actually one of my sideskirts came loose due to it. Here's a picture of what my thread marks looked like. Just bounced the rear side to side. Any one any ideas?? I wanna get this fixed!

tracks.jpg

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
DID THIS JUST START UP? WERE YOU ABLE TO DO A REGULAR/GOOD BURNOUT BEFORE? It is very hard to help if you don't answer the questions.

Just started happening. Was fine all last year. Pulled the motor over winter and got it built, and put in a t-56 transmission. Ever since it has been doing this.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
does the rear feel like it flops when you take off (normal driving) ? have someone stare at the rearend while you take off and see if it moves. upper control arm bushings maybe shot.

Users who are viewing this thread