Problem with Whipple purchase: Long read.

ChaosTheory

Banned
Preface: I accept a bit of fault in this I guess since I was a bit careless by assuming he would PUT INSURANCE ON A $2000 PACKAGE....!? Who wouldn't? As most of us would, I know I would!

Last month I started looking for Whipples or KBs online. I found an older 2.3L Whipple being sold by *removed for now* on SVTP for a decent price, and talked to him thru PM’s and we came to an agreement on price ($2000 plus shipping costs). I sent him a certified check via Registered mail. He got it a few days later and told me he sent out the blower, and sent me a tracking number via PM. It showed up in a reasonable amount of time, and I opened the package when I got home from work on Thursday, (2-12-09). It was packaged well, and in the original Whipple box and packing materials. This is where the problems started.

I opened the box and took it out and placed it on my workbench to clean it up. One thing I noticed was that the inlet and outlet of the blower were not covered or taped at all. This was annoying, but not really a big deal to me, although in my eyes it did show neglect. I got it cleaned up and a couple pieces of trash out of the inlet and was about to put it on when I noticed that something wasn’t right about the pulley. I started playing with it more and more and realized that it was damaged pretty badly. I looked at the box, and sure enough it was damaged as well. It looked as if the box had been dropped on the snout end of the blower, to where the full weight of the blower was on the pulley when it impacted the ground. The box had a hole in it where the pulley had poked through it a bit from the impact.

I decided to look at it more the next day so I immediately called UPS and placed a claim for the damaged goods. They told me to box it up and they would pick it up the next day to inspect it. I ended up calling them back and telling them that I wasn’t going to let them take the blower since I didn’t want to have to wait forever to get some kind of resolution. They said that was fine and that they would give me a call to schedule the inspection. It turns out that this was a good thing since it turns out also that the seller did not put insurance on the package. (Had I let them take it, they would have taken 4-6 weeks and probably only given me $100 and probably kept the blower.) I really question this; shipping out a package worth $2000 and not insuring it…

The lack of insurance is the source of all my problems right now. I have talked to UPS numerous times, from the Thursday (2-12) I received the blower, up until today (2-18), and the most they will cover is $100 plus the shipping costs. To me, this is complete crap since it’s an obvious shipping error. So, I have a blower that needs at LEAST a new snout, and a pulley and I have $100 to fix it with. I have kept the seller up to date with the situation, and I have called and spoken with the franchise owner of the UPS Store he shipped the blower out from. Really, I am sitting here screwed out of any money I have to pay to fix this thing…and to be honest; I can’t afford it right now. I have already spent a lot of money getting ready for this swap, and now for this to happen makes it much worse.

I have given the seller ample time to work with me on this issue and I have not been able to speak with him on the phone since Saturday afternoon (2-14). I have called him four times or so (my phone records show twice on 2-17, and at least once on 2-16; phone doesn’t go back any further), once a day since that day to speak with him about certain things, but I get no call returned. I finally got fed up with him not calling me back, and yesterday left him a message telling him that he needed to call me back and work this out since this was not my problem, nor my fault seeing as he didn’t put insurance on the package. I still have not received a call back, and am at my wit’s end on how to deal with this.

Seller, if you read this, all I ask from you to make this right is to buy me a new snout and pulley for the blower. I have spoken to Whipple today (and Monday-Tuesday as well), and that’s all it seems it needs. I have already bought the pulley, and I got it for a good price so there should be no issue there. I will take this as the one and only resolution to this problem.

Also, I have another question; did you pop a motor with this Whipple on top? I found very small chunks of metal in the inlet and very back of the rotors that look to be from an engine. They are certainly not from the blower; I have looked it over and can’t see where it would have come from on the blower. If this happened, why did you not tell me before I bought it? This is need-to-know information for a buyer…

So, in closing, I am sitting here with a blower that may or may not work with a snout replacement, and it might work as it is with a new pulley. So, folks, what do you think? I hope I am doing the right thing here, but I feel as if I am getting nowhere with the seller and UPS and I need to resort to posting this in the open forum. I really hate doing this, and will edit my post if he will try to help me out here, but until then, this is going to stay.

Here are the PM’s between us, in chronological order:

Me: Hey man, you got a KB for sale?

Seller: Its a whipple 2.3

Me: Price/details/etc? I am interested if we can agree on a price.

Seller: its a 2300ax with about 9k miles. Its black and has the single blade tb inlet. $2200 + shipping

Me: Will you take $2000 plus shipping? Do you need anything on trade? I will come out and say that I don't have all the money right now (have about 70%), can we work out something for you to hold it for me? We can do deposit or something...I know I WILL have the money; just not right now. Should have 100% in a week or week and a half. This is a Gen1, right?

Let's work something out!

Seller: Yes a gen 1. I may be up for cash and some kind of trade. What exactly do you have?

Me: Hey bro, I was just checking with you to see if you got my last message...I can have the money to you by the end of this week...

Can you shoot me some pics of the blower?

Seller: Yes what is your email address? Where are you located exactly? If we are not too far apart maybe we could meet up?

Me: Well, I live in South Alabama, so I doubt that we would be able to meet up...LOL

My email address is XXXXXX

Whatcha think about my offer, though? I am 100% sure I want the blower if it's in good shape (it is, right?) and if we can get right on price.

Make sure to send me some pics of the rotors too, please. Thanks man!

Seller: Pics sent let me know what you think

Me: It looks good! Is there any play in the drive at all?

Will you take $2000 plus shipping for it? I can have you the money by the end of the week if you will. I don't know what method of payment is best for this, but I will find out today at work (I work at a bank)

I can probably get a cashier's check if you are cool with that. Thanks man!

Seller: There is no play its tight. I can do 2000 plus actual shipping. A cashiers would be fine. let me know.

Me: That works for me, man. Any idea how much it will cost to ship? Do you want me to just paypal you the shipping cost after the fact? I have worked with my buyers like this before and it worked out well.

I will get the money from my bank and should be able to have it in the mail late this week. It will be a cashier's check from my bank that I work at.

If you want, you can give me a call this evening at your convenience. I also will need all your info; phone number, name, address, and etc.

Thanks!
Hunter

Seller: what is your zip there?

Me: *zip*

Seller: The package weighs 41lbs and looks to be about 83.00 to ship to you.

Me: Ok, sounds good. I will have to get some more cash from my account...LOL

I will have my money together Friday, and depending on what time I get it shipped out, it will go out Friday as well. If not Friday, I will send it from my PO on Saturday. Is this ok for you?

I guess you will ship the package out as soon as you get the cashier's check? Also, do you have a single blade TB?

How much do you want the check to be for; $2,083.00?

Thanks man, and again, I need all your info so I can send this to you.

Seller: $2083.00 will be fine. As soon as I recieve check and all is good I will ship blower to you. Thanks

Shaun XXXXXX
His address

Me: Hey man, just touching base with you...I should have the money out Friday or Saturday. We are still good, right?

Seller: yup, its a go.

Me: Just checking to see if you got the check or not. Let me know man!

Thanks!

Seller: Yes i got it yesterday and everything is cool. I will ship blower out tomorrow or sat and send you tracking asap. Thanks again!

Me: Awesome! Thanks for the deal bro! You going to ship it normal FedEx or UPS...3 day type deal?

Seller: UPS 3 day

Me: perfect. Thanks man!

Seller: Blower was shipped today. Tracking # is 1ZR031E60359794420. Pleas note there is no oil in the blower. So dont forget to fill it up before use. I always used 5w-50 syn.

Me: Hey man, I tried to call you yesterday, and left you a message. I sent you a video of the blower and the damage, and I will send you the pics I took this afternoon. I need to know if the package had insurance on it...let me know man.

Thanks

Last edited:

Common

Established Member
I blame the sender and you, both of you are at fault, 75% his and 25% yours, yours for assuming that he has the brain power, decency and common sense to figure that you don't send out $2,000 blower with NO insurance!!!

Let's see what he says......

Last edited:

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
TBH, since your both at fault...I'd say a 50/50 split is decent.

Also, if your buying something for even over $200, you should always make sure to have insurance. A lesson learned.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i ****ing hate sellers that ship shit without insurance, and then try to pawn off the issue on the buyer. The buyer did not arrange shipment!

I always get a quote for shipping stuff to the farthest distance in the continental US, including insurance, for when i am pricing the item out. this way i know absolutely the most it will cost, and if someone wants to negotiate, i can take money off if i know their location. Then again, i ship out of my business, and i hear insuring stuff when using a retail store is PITA, you have to prove the objects worth to insure it for said amount. With shipping via my company, i can insure a shift boot for $2k and if it shows up damaged, i just made $1,980. no questions asked. I dont do that, but you couldnt insure a shift boot at a retail store for any more than the objects worth, which means you usually have to present a reciept or for used stuff that has no recorded worth, i hear they like to see your paypal transaction amount too.

I always insure the item for double what i sold it for. That way, if it shows up ****ed up, i still make what i sold it for, and the seller gets his money back, and everyone is happy.

Invictus

Banned
Sucks to hear this. The package should have DEFINATELY been insured, no question about it. I'd make him replace the snout or return the blower and make him refund 100% to you.

This is not 25% your fault. Making sure something gets to you is the seller's responsibility 100%. If anything it's 75% UPS fault, 25% seller's fault but either way it's 0% your fault and you should not have to pay a penny. My $0.02

Last edited:

Quik Z06

Established Member
I know people hate paypal, but that is one reason I'll gladly pay the 3% or whatever it is. When you complain to them about something you usually get your money back. In this case I would have sent the blower back and contacted paypal and gave them the tracking #. They would have to refund the money since you no longer had the whipple and the seller had a tracking # showing he would be getting it. Believe me I've dealt with paypal for years and have seen it done many times.

IMO at the least he should buy you a new snout. I say take what UPS will give you because that may be all you end up getting out of it. If they give you the $100 + shipping $83, how much is a snout? I bought one before for a 2.2 KB I had but dont know if there is much price difference.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Then again, i ship out of my business, and i hear insuring stuff when using a retail store is PITA, you have to prove the objects worth to insure it for said amount.

I don't have a problem insuring stuff I ship out of my local UPS store, and not once have I had to open the box or prove it's worth :shrug:

CBrowning84

Established Member
That red and blue was F****n' my eyes all up haha, I think I'm permanantly cross eyed.

haha I was thinkin that too, looked like the red was sticking out of the screen while the blue was set in.. like 3D images!! lol Glad it's not just me! :lol1:

And as far as the issue goes, that's a pretty tough situation, OP! Granted you should have requested insurance, (you not only paid for the parts, but for it to arrive in the exact condition you bought it for) then again it's not really your responsibility to make sure the shipper or the shipping company get the goods to the destination in the condition it left.
I have no idea why anybody wouldn't insure it, other than just to be cheap or just plain forgetful, but either way, it should be his or UPS's responsibility to get what you bought or reverse the deal. JMO though.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
I don't have a problem insuring stuff I ship out of my local UPS store, and not once have I had to open the box or prove it's worth :shrug:

When I sent my KB to be rebuilt, they made me open the box to check the value since it was over a certain limit.

As far as this situation goes, I'd say the fault is 50/50. The buyer should have requested insurance, and the seller should have offered to include insurance.

I don't think it's the seller's responsibility to automatically include insurance on things they ship. Some people would not want to pay the additional $75-100 for that service.

I say you're out the $300. Suck it up and buy the replacement snout.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Take the $100 plus cost of shipping from teh shipping company and order a new snout. You shouldn't be that much out of pocket, perhaps you and the seller can split the difference, althought that isn't really his/her duty now.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
When I sent my KB to be rebuilt, they made me open the box to check the value since it was over a certain limit.

As far as this situation goes, I'd say the fault is 50/50. The buyer should have requested insurance, and the seller should have offered to include insurance.

I don't think it's the seller's responsibility to automatically include insurance on things they ship. Some people would not want to pay the additional $75-100 for that service.

I say you're out the $300. Suck it up and buy the replacement snout.

is that how much it would cost for the insurance?? ive honestly never really checked on most things.

edit: i just checked with fedex online. shipping a pair of wheels shipped for only $50 (less than the standard "free" insurance of $100) costs about $44. shipping with insurance for $2k, about $57.

theyre pretty confident they wont lose/damage your shipment so they dont mark it up that much. which is why i just automatically include it with everything i ship.

I wouldn't ship a $2K package without insurance, but whats it matter.

neither would i. i dont ship anything i cant get for free or wouldnt be a loss, without insurance. i dont even ask. i just get a shipping quote with it, and then relay that info to the potential buyer. usually i dont even separate the amounts. just the cost of the item, shipped. its funny, most people dont even ask if their wheels will ship insured. it seems like it would be a given :shrug:

ive sold a ton of crap on ebay. electronics, car parts, etc... i always mark "insurance included" when signing up. and then either quote the shipping rate, or just say "free shipping" because it always attracts more bidders and the price ends up higher. people bid based on the total cost involved, not this and that. but i digress....

imo, the seller is 95% at fault for not shipping with insurance. not too bright imo. he could avoided this whole stupid mess by just paying an extra $10 for the insurance :nonono:

johnwynn

Established Member
How much did you pay for Shipping? Did you ask for Insurance. I would not have bought a 2K anything without asking and confirming that the seller would ship it with insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread