problem with the rear wheel studs

silvervenom

Established Member
well I went to take my rim off the back left side of the car and the lugnuts were spinning the studs. All five are spinning freely and im not to sure if anyone has had the same problem. Any insite on how to get the wheel off to fix the problem would be great. Also has anyone else ever had this happen?

also does anyone have any idea where to find the new assembly that im gonna need to fix it. Ive searched the internet and came up with nothing. THanks in advance for the help :beer:

Fat-cat

Established Member
Ummmm not sure how that could happen with the wheels tightened down. you are going to have to get it up on a hoist and and get a clap or something on the back of the wheels stud to hold it. Another option is hit it with an impact on tighten i will pull the studs back into the hub.. but i make no guaranties that it wont strip or brake studs.

silvervenom

Established Member
ya i think the studs are bent and stripped i wonder if i could hit the studs with a tack weld to hold them in place and then try to back the lugs off ?

metaman

Established Member
Sounds like who ever put the lugs on did it with an impact wrench at wide open throttle. I should know, because I did it to two of mine one right after the other one day and ended up having to replace the studs.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
A little helpful hint from someone who used to to do work in several tire and wheel shops when i was younger. ALWAYS start your lugnuts by hand, if you can't reach in the wheel with your fingers, but it on with a socket----BUT TURN IT BY HAND for the first few threads, and after the lugnut is started, then use an impact to tighten it up. BTW, overtightening wheel lug nuts can warp brake rotors. To the OP, there are several ways to get them off, spot welding is one way. Just be careful not to scar up the wheels on the inside of the holes when you are getting them off. I suggest changing all of the studs on that wheel when you get them off.

silvervenom

Established Member
A little helpful hint from someone who used to to do work in several tire and wheel shops when i was younger. ALWAYS start your lugnuts by hand, if you can't reach in the wheel with your fingers, but it on with a socket----BUT TURN IT BY HAND for the first few threads, and after the lugnut is started, then use an impact to tighten it up. BTW, overtightening wheel lug nuts can warp brake rotors. To the OP, there are several ways to get them off, spot welding is one way. Just be careful not to scar up the wheels on the inside of the holes when you are getting them off. I suggest changing all of the studs on that wheel when you get them off.

ya I always start them by hand and tighten down with a spanner and then hit them with a torque wrench. To the poster that said he had two spin in his how did you get the rim off the car after doing that ?

Users who are viewing this thread