Problem with Procharger Idle

brandon_s0854

Established Member
My tuner has been having issues getting a smooth idle with my new setup. It was originally setup draw thru. He was having issues with with the bypass valve making the maf counts erratic, so we changed to blow thru, and supposedly it's even worse, which doesn't make sense to me.

You guys have any suggestions? The shop did all the work hooking it up. Maybe there's something obvious wrong with the installation that I don't know.

Here's a link to see it idle -> http://youtu.be/_LfQSjUqbbM

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
really hard to tell from that video but is the MAF right after a bend in the piping? If so possible noise at the maf due to that?

brandon_s0854

Established Member
I noticed on the video the fuel pressure was only sitting around 32-34psi. Is it possible for that to cause a problem? I know Ford sets them to 39-40 form the factory.

brandon_s0854

Established Member
really hard to tell from that video but is the MAF right after a bend in the piping? If so possible noise at the maf due to that?

There's about 6 inches on either side before any bending. The bend on the intercooler side is very slight and gradual. The bend on the throttle side is an abrupt 30 degree bend. Still, I don't see why that would be a problem being that far from the MAF.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
in the video it looked like there may be a bend 2-3 inches from the maf is why I asked.

I would hope the tuner would be able to pick up on a noisy maf looking at the logs

brandon_s0854

Established Member
Yeah, that's what he's saying is going on, but he has no idea how to fix it. He's been tuning my car for a month now. And I'm not much help when it comes to tuning. lol

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
stinks you cant rotate the tube section at all, sometimes just re-positioning the MAF helps.

make sure the bypass valve is working correctly

try to find a MAF to swap out just to rule out a bad maf

I think Treadstone sells some inserts to put in front of the maf to help straighten out the airflow but not sure how it would work in your setup (or if they work, seems like it should though when Ford puts screens in some intake setups to help with this)

brandon_s0854

Established Member
stinks you cant rotate the tube section at all, sometimes just re-positioning the MAF helps.

make sure the bypass valve is working correctly

try to find a MAF to swap out just to rule out a bad maf

I think Treadstone sells some inserts to put in front of the maf to help straighten out the airflow but not sure how it would work in your setup (or if they work, seems like it should though when Ford puts screens in some intake setups to help with this)

Thanks for the suggestions. The bov has been checked and is working correctly. You're the second person to mention the treadstone screen. I may have to pick one up just to give it a shot. I was considering trying a ba5000 MAF, as I've heard they're better for blow thru's. Not sure if that would help though. I don't want to keep throwing money at this thing blindly.

brandon_s0854

Established Member
Just to clarify, the MAF counts are so bad that it is pegging min and pegging max regularly at idle. I'm not sure the screen or a different maf (as long as the current one isn't defective) would help in this extreme of a case, but I could be wrong. Is the location of the MAF really the only reason that this happens?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
pegging min and pegging max at idle doesnt sound right at all to me but Im not an expert

brandon_s0854

Established Member
The tuner is telling me that it's varying as the pcm is averaging the crazy counts from the maf, but that it's much more stable than the maf itself.

brandon_s0854

Established Member
So I've got some more information that you at-home tuners might find useful in helping me figure this problem out. With my x4 handheld plugged in at idle, maf counts vary between 100-300. Engine load varies between .07%-.35% with rpm surging from 400-1000.

When I unplug the maf, engine idles damn near constant at 800. My tuner also pulled off a maf from a Ford intake he had laying around (same style as ba3000), made a quick adjustment to get afr in the ballpark and counts on that were like 300-350 with rpm only bouncing between 700-800.

Any idea what could be wrong? Maybe just a faulty ba3000?

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Sounds to me like there is some turbulence around the MAF area. Like DSG2003Mach1 suggested, put a screen before the MAF to see if it fixes the problem, even if you just have to temporarily rig one up.

brandon_s0854

Established Member
That's not really an option. It's all welded smooth pipe. The closest place the pipe disconnects is at the intercooler. I have no idea how there could be turbulence with the current setup.

Also, why would the Ford maf be so much better? It's a more sensitive maf yet its counts were much more stable

Users who are viewing this thread