Problem with 5th gear

Nuked

Established Member
Hi everyone, just picked up a 96 cobra this past weekend. Car runs great except for when you shift into 5th gear it will grind when you release the clutch. It physically will go into 5th no problem, just doesnt want to engage when you let out the clutch. If you double clutch it seems to work OK.

I am planning on pulling the transmission this weekend to install a new clutch, and wanted to get some opinions on if it is an internal problem in the t45 so I could fix while the transmission is out of the car.

Car has Steeda shifter, rest stock.

Thanks,

SQ

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
If you let the rpms drop down to idle before shifting does it still grind? Mine does that.. it will grind going into 5th unless I let the needle drop. It's been that way since I got the car and has never gotten any worse.

CJK440

Established Member
Check to be sure your shifter is bolted down tight and that the stops are adjusted correctly. If the transmission truely shifts into gear, it shouldn't grind. I'm guessing it moves into the gate but doesn't fully engage.

Nuked

Established Member
Never tried the rpms dropping, but it is possible that does help.

The shifter physically will go into 5th, just makes the noise when you let the clutch out. I have held my hand on the shifter and it doesn't move at all when it does engage.

SQ

pdm

Established Member
Probably in the shifter, but could also be a bearing. Try this: shift into 5th and do not give it any throttle so that the engine is trying to slow you down as you let out the clutch. Then, do the opposite. Apply a little throttle so that the engine is accelerating as you let out the clutch. Pay close attention to these two scenarios and see if there is any difference in the way the transmission behaves. If it will go into gear while decelerating but not otherwise, it's likely a bearing. Most of the time, the rear output is the culprit while not showing any other signs. Do you notice anything suspicious about 3rd? Sometimes it will cause trouble too.

Nuked

Established Member
I will try these things this weekend.

None of the other gears give any problems. Reverse seems a little stiff at times, but nothing major. 1-4 shift like butter, well as good as the Steeda can. I am not a big fan of this shifter to begin with and prefer a MGW.

SQ

CJK440

Established Member
If you are getting a grinding noise and the gears don't engage then the slider that engages the syncro hub and gear teeth simply isn't moving far enough into position. If you are sure the shifter is all the way into gear then there is a problem somewhere in between the shift block under the shifter all the way to the syncro slider.

The T-45 has a convoluted way to engage 5th and reverse. While the 1-4 forks are on the main shift rail, there is a lever on the side contacts the main shift rail but actuates another rail to move the 5th/rev fork. There are a lot more interactions compared to 1-4.

I would contact somebody familiar with T-45's and see if they can help. I'd start with Wally at Promotion, he was very helpful and might be able to point you in the proper direction, perhaps it can be rectified by just removing the tail housing.

Either way, I'm pretty sure its not bearing issue as a bearing issue would not be a cause for the gear not to engage.

Perhaps one other check would be to pop your shifter off and try to manually actuate the shift block comparing it to the engagement of 1 & 3. Keep in mind without the shifter the block moves completely opposite. To move into 5th the block moves toward the driver and rearward.

P.S. You don't happen to have any sort of gasket (other than a skim of RTV) between your shifter base and the tranny case?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
If you are getting a grinding noise and the gears don't engage then the slider that engages the syncro hub and gear teeth simply isn't moving far enough into position. If you are sure the shifter is all the way into gear then there is a problem somewhere in between the shift block under the shifter all the way to the syncro slider.

The T-45 has a convoluted way to engage 5th and reverse. While the 1-4 forks are on the main shift rail, there is a lever on the side contacts the main shift rail but actuates another rail to move the 5th/rev fork. There are a lot more interactions compared to 1-4.

I would contact somebody familiar with T-45's and see if they can help. I'd start with Wally at Promotion, he was very helpful and might be able to point you in the proper direction, perhaps it can be rectified by just removing the tail housing.

Either way, I'm pretty sure its not bearing issue as a bearing issue would not be a cause for the gear not to engage.

Perhaps one other check would be to pop your shifter off and try to manually actuate the shift block comparing it to the engagement of 1 & 3. Keep in mind without the shifter the block moves completely opposite. To move into 5th the block moves toward the driver and rearward.

P.S. You don't happen to have any sort of gasket (other than a skim of RTV) between your shifter base and the tranny case?

could also call zak at thet45source.com

Nuked

Established Member
Small update....

Changed the transmission fluid tonight, no help there. I tried letting the rpms drop, still no dice. Tried reving a little, still no dice. It seems like it decides to engage 5th whenever it feels like it, no rhyme or reason. Tomorrow I will pull the shifter off and try the above mentioned stuff.

SQ

Users who are viewing this thread