problem with 2014 GT-paint issues

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
My wife and I bought a 2014 GT about a month ago. We picked up the vehicle and noticed "water spots" on it at the dealership. I figured it just needed to be cleaned up properly and all would be fine. Well I was wrong. I ended up taking back to dealership the day after I bought it and they buffed all the spots off the entire car. I thought all was good. about 2 weeks later I noticed some of the spots had returned and it seems like over time the spots get worse and I have concluded there is a problem with the clear coat on this car. I am in and out of body shops all day everyday as I am in the insurance business, and had a few shops around town check out the issues with the clear coat. One shop thought the issue occurred during transport and thinks the vehicle was wrapped with protection wrap and moisture built up underneath the wrap causing this problem. One shop thought a mobile detail service used a dirty shammy and the water spots baked into the paint. Another shop thought it was a chemical reaction. The last shop thought the factory may have used waterborne clear coat and it had a jacked up reaction.

The short version is there is a problem with the clear coat on our brand new GT and the only way to fix the problem is an overall repaint. My wife wants to return this one and get another one defect free. what is the opinion of SVTP? I know there are some people on here that work at Ford Dealerships, so I am really interested in their opinions here.

Should we fight hard to get a new one or just settle for the repaint. I know a lot about paint and body work so I know it is not a big deal to repaint a new car, but we bought this car only 3 weeks ago. I paid a fair price for this car, expecting no defects or paint issues since it is a brand new car.

Here are some photos of said issues. These photos are of the spoiler, but the entire car looks like this. What is crazy is you can't see this in direct sunlight. It is only visible in fluorescent lights.

uzl8.jpg

nzcx.jpg

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Wow, that blows. I would be pissed. Let us know what happens with warranty and everything

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
oh trust me we are pissed, but we are at their mercy and will have to wait and see what can be done. I love the car, just figures something like this would happen.

halemach1

Established Member
They are not gona give you a new car lol. A good respray and you should be set. But they will try every paint correction trick they know be for the even do that.

KurtDog

Established Member
How much of the car is covered in these water spots?

I would think the dealer would want to repaint the panels that have the water spots under warranty long before they would take the whole car back. If it's only a panel or two, I would let them re-paint the panels and see if they will give you an extended warranty on the paint.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Its got it on every panel on the entire car. I do realize they probably won't replace the car, but it is pretty crappy to get a new car and have to have a full strip/repaint right out of the gate.

Never_Enough

Established Member
You won't get a new car. Are they going to repaint it right by disassembling or just mask off parts only to get over spray all over anyway?

KurtDog

Established Member
Its got it on every panel on the entire car. I do realize they probably won't replace the car, but it is pretty crappy to get a new car and have to have a full strip/repaint right out of the gate.

I would start off talking with a manager at the dealer you bought the car from. Let him know how unhappy you are and you don't want to play games for the next few months. Tell him that you want to drop the car off and pick it up in a reasonable amount of time with no more issues. I would think most dealers would want to make this right asap.

1o1proof

Established Member
Good luck getting anything out of them without some troubles. Our 13 has problems on the trunk, it's a black car and like you has clear coat issues. For lack of a better description it looks like smoke in the paint but only in spots. Took it to dealer, they say yes there is a problem but we have to go through corporate to resolve it. Corporate said its where bird crap got on it and I let it sit and will not cover it. Oh really? Car is always garaged and in 17 months has just 7800 miles, it's only a GT but I do take care of it.

Anyway, the dealer told me I could fight it but to be honest I don't think it's worth the headache.

oldmodman

Established Member
Be careful with how they paint the car. All the clearcoat and some of the colorcoat must be removed to eliminate whatever contamination is causing the clear separation. And I just hope that the contamination isn't all the down in the factory primer. They will never be able to do a decent paint job over that.
Your car may require an epoxy primer/sealer to eliminate a repeat disaster.

The best possible resolution would be a different car, but i doubt they will give it to you.
Next best would be a real, full blown repaint. Remove everything on the car including all the glass. take it down to bare metal, spray on a primer/sealer. Sand it. Lay down the color coat, then two coats of clear. Then you will have enough clear to color sand and polish it. You would end up with an excellent paint job.

numbnutz

Established Member
Shitty situation to be in OP, I would be pissed.

I would talk to the GM and tell him as long as a repaint is up to your standards you're fine, if not, you want a new car. You didn't buy a 10k Kia.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Yea, he bought a 25-32k mustang, but I agree at the bare minimum it should be a re-paint.

Yep, it is a GT premium with Nav and just about every option you can get. If it was a kia, I would just keep rollin without a care. Problem is its the wife's car and she is very picky and she will keep this car for at least 10+ years. I am ok with repaint if it is up to my standards, but problem is the dealers won't be able to meet my standards. They do decent work, but I will be picky as hell since I will be married to this car from now on and why pay top $ for a car with paint problems, when I could have paid the same price for one without problems. I mean if you get a used car with dents/dings you usually get a price break on the sale or an offer to fix it before you buy it, but this is a brand new vehicle that is supposed to be without problems. Unfortunately, i deal with all the shops in this area on a regular basis and don't want to jeopardize any current working relationships if there is a problem with a repaint that is not up to snuff that I complain about.

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I have an appointment with the dealer for this Friday. I will drop the car off for the day. I think the dealer is going to have their paint rep. check it out (I know their paint rep. pretty well, so he will be straight up). Should be an interesting end to the week. Any dealership employees out there run into any issues like this?

Never_Enough

Established Member
So a new Kia messed up is ok, but if the $ is spent on a super rare Mustang GT there is hell to pay? LOL!!!! NO new car should have this issue. I don't care if it is a $15k Fiesta or a $100k BMW.

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
So a new Kia messed up is ok, but if the $ is spent on a super rare Mustang GT there is hell to pay? LOL!!!! NO new car should have this issue. I don't care it is a $15k Fiesta or a $100k BMW.

No, but a 10k Kia that is used and abused I could care less about. well let me back up and say #1, I would not buy a kia and #2 if I did buy a used car it would be one thing. A new one different story. Either way, it is crappy. just stings worse on a brand new one that cost a pretty penny.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
Good luck. I had a similar problem a few years ago. 2009 GT500 (black) bought used with 4000 miles on it. You could not see the defect in the sunlight, but it was obvious under fluorescent lights. Went to multiple dealerships 3 days after we bought it and then to multiple shops. My best friend works at a big body shop in town -- they had never seen anything like it and couldn't remove it.

After a few weeks, Ford told me it was my problem despite the warranty. Multiple reps came out and tried to photograph it. Actually hard to see. Once you saw it, you couldn't "unsee" it. Never did figure out what it was and it was never fixed. IT looked like someone had done one heck of a job trying to cover it up before I bought it. I traded the car in a few months later.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Yikes. What shops did you go to man? Go to Cnc. Every other shop in town sucks. Crow and Roberts..garbage, kings etc.

Users who are viewing this thread