Problem while pulling intake off. Need advice.

epracmetcon

Established Member
Ok, so last nice I am pulling my intake off to delete my imrc's. Get the intake off notice theres a sandlike substance everywhere.....and by everythere I mean down in my intake ports. Is there a better method to getting this shit out then vacuming it?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I assume its only in the secondary ports? What I did to clean mine is index the crank to that the vavle you are working on it shut. Once shut spray some carb clean in it and get either a tooth brush or a plastic knife to remove the gunk. Then vacuum it out with a shop vac. -Mark

epracmetcon

Established Member
what happened is that this sand like shit fell down into the intake ports in the heads. not a lot fell in, but enough to worry me.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Oh I think I understand now. You mean when you were removing it the road dirt/sand that built up over time fell into the ports? How much sand are we talking about? The ports that the sand did fall in....where the valves shut? If they were open I'd probably turn the car on let it run for sec, turn it off, then do an oil change. Other than pulling apart the motor to get the sand out theres really not much you can do. -Mark

epracmetcon

Established Member
Only about a pinch fell in each of the intake ports, not a lot. as long as I get most out is there a real need to worry? If there is I will sell the car.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Yeah not fair to dump a problem on a unsuspecting buyer. I sold my 88 LX 5.0 a year ago and the car ran flawless. He leaves my driveway squealling the tires and grinding gears. Dumbass calls me the next day and trys to tell me the transmission only had one bolt partilally holding it in place and wants a partial refund. Told him to FO. Found out later that there wasn't anything wrong he just wanted some $$ back.

epracmetcon

Established Member
The question was not about to dump it on an unsuspecting buyer...it was about sand in my motor. Ever heard about trading a car in? Not trying to be an ass but please stay on topic.

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
goin off topic but where is the advantage in imrc deletes...wouldn't you just lose torque i don't know much about this but just kinda seems that it wouldn't make a difference top end cuz ur not changing anything except losing ur short runners for torque

epracmetcon

Established Member
you don't loose that much torque and if you have a gear its not real noticable. plus I am sick of them getting stuck shut.

98(oBra\/ert

Established Member
Cookieman00x said:
Id get a 1 inch tube and tape it on the end of a shop vac to get maximum suction
hhahaha, I did that same thing a couple weeks back, my shop vac got hot as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread