Problem getting T56 to shift into reverse

stevolikedevo

Established Member
I swapped out the valve covers on my car about a month ago for S n' G during a whipple install. I decided to replace the stock clutch cable, quadrant, and put in a firewall adjuster because I had to remove the cable for clearance to remove/install the driver's valve cover and figured I'd be getting a new clutch to replace the stock one soon anyway. After getting the car put back together and everything all adjusted, it worked great for a few days. Then, I started having tons of trouble getting the car to shift into reverse. All of the other gears are fine.

Basically, what I have to do is reach across my body with my left arm and push the shifter all the way over to the right before I can get it into gear. This is 100% of the time I want to shift into reverse. Once it's in reverse, it works fine, no grinding, no throwing it out of gear, etc. When I take it out of reverse, about a 1/2" of movement back on the shifter and it's basically throwing the shifter out of reverse. Like I said, all the other gears work great, no problems like this.

Any idea what went wrong? Bad shifter? Bent fork? I'm running a Pro 5.0 that's been on there for about 37K miles. Car has about 40K on it.

Thanks in advance. :beer:

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Check the lockout solenoid on the shift top. To see it from the top of the car, You will have to remove the shift knob, pull the electrical connector off the power outlet, and remove the shifter boot assembly. There is 4- 8mm head screws holding down the inner boot. Remove those 4 screws and pull out the inner boot. On the drivers side of the shift top you will see the solenoid assembly. With your foot on the brake and foot on the clutch and key to the on position,you should hear or feel a click when you try to put the shifter in reverse.

You may want to check for power at the connector for the solenoid. Just use a test light.

stevolikedevo

Established Member
@slowr w/o blowr - Thanks for the troubleshooting info on the reverse lockout.

@firewall adjust guys - I hear ya, and I'm not ruling anything out, but I had the adjustment set right where I wanted it for a couple days and it was working fine. When it started going bad, I tried different settings with the adjuster and the shifting for the fwd gears went downhill.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I had a similar problem with my car. I would check the reverse lock-out solenoid fuse. This fuse powers couple of other things. I had to push the shifter to right with both hands to make mine go in to reverse. Blown fuse was my cause of the problem, lock-out solenoid wasn't getting power. GL

stevolikedevo

Established Member
I had a similar problem with my car. I would check the reverse lock-out solenoid fuse. This fuse powers couple of other things. I had to push the shifter to right with both hands to make mine go in to reverse. Blown fuse was my cause of the problem, lock-out solenoid wasn't getting power. GL

What was the fuse number? I checked a couple called out in the manual that seemed like it might be it, but they looked fine.

greengt88

Established Member
where does one purchase one of these? and how much do they typically run? this happened to me only once so far. but i guess you should have a spare, like the fuel pressure sensor. What would cause this to happen out of the blue and then go away the next day?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
The way I checked my reverse lockout was with the shifter off, key on. The lockout is on the driver's side. Reach down and push in the button with your finger. If it goes in real easy, then it's working. If it's very difficult or nearly impossible to push in with your finger, then it's not working.

stevolikedevo

Established Member
The way I checked my reverse lockout was with the shifter off, key on. The lockout is on the driver's side. Reach down and push in the button with your finger. If it goes in real easy, then it's working. If it's very difficult or nearly impossible to push in with your finger, then it's not working.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try this out this weekend. Just heard back from Tousley that a new solenoid is $170+shipping, so I'm really hoping I just didn't check the right fuse.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
my t-56 has the solenoid, but i never took the time to hook it up. I call it my hillbilly theft deterrent. You do know that you can take your right knee and push against the back of your hand while you push against the detent. It works like a charm and once your used to it, it becomes a fluid motion.

JAYSVT06

Established Member
My reverse has the same problem

What is the Fuse number does anyone know? when i bought my car i didn't get a manual for some reason so i ordered one, but my reverse is hard to get into also and I think it's the fuse, what numbers in the dash fuse box control's the reverse lockout solenoid? how many amp etc.
Thanks

Calderon_Cobra

Generic bad ass cobra
Established Member
funny story when I bought my Cobra the dealer installed a hurst shifter before i picked it up because the stock one sucked and I said it was a deal breaker. When i got there i couldn't put it in reverse so i was about to back out of the deal and go home, when he dropped 3,000$ off the price, i reluctantly bought it anyway turns out they put the shifter in backwards..........:shrug:

lguizar12

Established Member
funny story when I bought my Cobra the dealer installed a hurst shifter before i picked it up because the stock one sucked and I said it was a deal breaker. When i got there i couldn't put it in reverse so i was about to back out of the deal and go home, when he dropped 3,000$ off the price, i reluctantly bought it anyway turns out they put the shifter in backwards..........:shrug:

mine has a hurst and its a pain in the ass for reverse! the other gears are quite hard as well. i bought the car with the shifter. What would you guys recommend?

PS all gears are harder to get in than the stock shifter. (drove my buddies stock shifter)

Calderon_Cobra

Generic bad ass cobra
Established Member
mine has a hurst and its a pain in the ass for reverse! the other gears are quite hard as well. i bought the car with the shifter. What would you guys recommend?

PS all gears are harder to get in than the stock shifter. (drove my buddies stock shifter)

Mine was the same way i finally got tired of it and went to take it off and noticed it was backwards, The Hurst shifter is easy to mix up, take it off reinstall it maybe the guy before put it on wrong. Wouldn't hurt and only takes 20 mins.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread