Problem: Do you have surging or hesitation when cold?

Do you have surging or hesitation when cold?

• Yes!

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • No.

Votes: 37 38.9%
  • I am not sure.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Yes, and I fixed it!!! I will post a reply to tell you what I did.

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

BOOOOST

Established Member
In the mornings, or when the vehicle is cold, and I drive it in 1st gear down the street at around 15 mph, I can feel some slight surging, or hesitation, under a steady cruise. It isn't too bad, but you can definitely notice it. Once it warms up some it will go away totally, usually less than a minute or so. My vehicle is totally stock, was built in Nov. and has the YDH1 calibration (it came this way). Others have stated they too have this problem, even after they added mods.

Who all has this problem, and what have you done to fix it, if anything? If you have this problem please make sure you list your calibration code (QUD2, YDH0, or YDH1). Thanks!

Last edited:

BOOOOST

Established Member
I believe that by changing the stock plugs out to a a better style, such as the Denso Iridiums, or NGK copper, would probably fix this, and I will do such to see if this will affect the situation or not. I'll let you all know soon.

OverToad

Established Member
Mine does it, but so did my '97 Cobra, and it never had any kind of engine trouble.

I've kinda gotten the impression that cars that have more power tend to have rougher times in the morning.....

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Mine too, YHD1. Stock minus the silencer.

I should have stated I have no silencer either, but I seriously do not think this is causing our issue, although I know you weren't implying that.

My '96 Cobra did not have this issue. Lightnings do not either, Supras don't, Vettes don't, Porsches don't, Vipers don't, so I don't see why we should???

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Mine was built in 01/03 with YDH1 code and so far with only 75 miles on it, doesn't have it.

BOOOOST

Established Member
If it is a plug issue, I'm leaning towards too rich a factory calibration, and it's causing the plugs to possess a cold foul state.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Mine did as well, I just leaned the closed loop table a bit with my MAFterburner and - woolaa - problem fixed. AutoTap still shows the short term fuel trim at "0". I am pretty sure it is a plug fouling from pushing too much gas.

stangin

Established Member
I noticed that once it kinda stumbled when I did not fully warm it up. I will pay attention more now that you mention it. Anytime a surge in idle happens it is usually due to a lean condition. I changed plugs to TR6's so I doubt this is it. I would be more suspect of the "lean" condition during warm up, hard to say for sure.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Mine too. Did it bone stock. Does not do it as bad now after the mods. Catback and CAI.,Not sure what my code is. How the heck do you find that out.???

Black Cobra

Established Member
Yes, but...only when the car has satup over night. I don't have the problem when the car is cold after sitting up for 9 hours while I'm at work. In the Morning, it only last for about 1/4 of a mile. After that I'm fine till the next morning. If I let it warm up in the morning for several minutes its fine.

On a side note, this condition is probably related to whatever causes my engine to stall if I get on the brakes hard during this first 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

Last edited:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Mine does it, but I really don't see it as much of a problem. I just need to make sure that when I pull up to the first stoplight in the morning leaving for work that I don't keep my foot in it and begin to alternately slap off the drive/coast faces of the ring and pinion. That can be nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread