Pro-M meters and cobra meter calibration

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
since the cobra computer adjusts the calibration for the injectors. could I use a pro-m and switch the sensor, or use the pro-m sensor?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You need to use a ProM calibrated for the X3Z computer and whatever size injector you are running. You cannot swap the electronics out on ProM meters, as the electronics for each meter are unique. You could have major problems if you do so...

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
This may be hard to follow, but...

I sold my X3Z (original) computer a long time ago. I replaced it with an A9L because I heard of tuning problems with the stock cobra computer. I was running 36 lb injectors at the time with a ProM bullet blow through calibrated for the A9L and the 36's. I recently upgraded to 42 lb injectors and sold my meter and 36's. I purchased a new ProM bullet blow through from Pro Flow for the new 42's and the A9L (specifically requested). Well, they sent me a meter calibrated for the X3M (because I was a dumb ass and told them I had a '93 cobra).

I called Pro Flow back and he said that it wouldn't work at all because of how they calibrate it. It would think I had less of an injector than I really did. Anyway, I only had 3 days until our last track day here so I didn't have time to order a new one. I figured I would try to run it.

Long story short, the car runs perfectly and posted my best track time ever (see sig). It's rich I can tell, but nothing out of the ordinary. Drivability is fine, gas mileage is managable, and wide open it's incredible.

I guess I don't understand how the calibration can be off, yet it runs so well. I have thought about selling the meter to get the correct one, but why even bother when it's running so well?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
guess I don't understand how the calibration can be off, yet it runs so well.
Basically, it's a load calculation thing. Your eec is able to correct most of the rich condition, but where you get hurt is in the load. Load is based off the maf readings, and your readings are off from where they would be for the bigger injectors. Your car prob. runs "OK" and feels good, but I can almost guarantee your car will perform better with the correct meter in there.

With your high hp combo, I would seriously considering getting the correct calibration on your maf...

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
I should be fine with the 19lb injectors then? also, would a chip work to correct the meter. I don't see how the c&l meters work with the stock sensor if all they use is a sample tube.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
1bad93svt - I don't understand exactly what you are asking. 19# injectors, with stock cobra eec and stock maf - NO, you cannot do that. Is that what you are asking?

93SVT-Jason

Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771
1bad93svt - I don't understand exactly what you are asking. 19# injectors, with stock cobra eec and stock maf - NO, you cannot do that. Is that what you are asking?
LOL, :shrug:

Not to yank the thread, but same darn thing just happened to me. I got my new proM, and they set it up for the 93 Cobra eec, instead of the A9L, (Like I also requested).

What really has me pissed :mj: is, Fun Ford is this weekend in my backyard. I guess instead of running true street, I'm going to try and enter it in the car show and see how the beast does.

93snake93

Established Member
I have a question about Pro M, first I know they are out of business. How do I tell what my mass air sensor is set at? Also how did they sell these units any information would be great.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
My Pro M has my calibration written (engraved) on the sensor itself. I'm sure that they come in a box, but mine was purchased by a shop and installed before I got there. I didn't know that they were out of business--the best meter I've used; didn't have much favor with my previous C&L.

Last edited:

93snake93

Established Member
Mine is was also engraved on here's my info.
Model: 75mm S/C or S/L (not sure)
Serial: 002381
Calibr: 24C or 24L (not sure)

~Ray~

Established Member
You can use that meter yes but your idle will be alittle rich & your wot aswell, what you can do is buy a fuel pressure regulator & turn that down about 5lbs & you should be fine, you'll need a wideband to verify or you could buy one of them Pro-m optimizers, there only $50 - $100 on ebay & that allows you to adjust pulse width of injectors "calibration sizes" all at the twist of a screw but like I said you'll need a wideband to verify A/F.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Turning the FP down won't make any difference, as adaptive will come in and do it's thing. I'll be surprised if you are able to run the n/a car with the s/c calibration, it will be touch and go at best. WOT will be VERY rich, and you'll have a lovely surging idle as well, most likely.

"75mm S/C" means its a 75mm with a supercharged calibration
"24C" means its a calibrated for a Cobra with 24# injectors

93snake93

Established Member
Thats what I kinda thought. I'm trying to figure out if I should send it out to get it recalibrated or just buy a new one. Any ideas what to buy?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I would sent it for a recalibration. The chances of you finding a 93Cobra owner running a 24# s/c combo aren't all that great, as that is a fairly uncommon combo. Recalibration will run you ~100, while a new PMAS meter will run you 300+...

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
No need for the PIH harness setup on your car anymore. The code was hacked long ago, and the tuners can easily tune your setup now. Save your money and spend it on the recal for your meter...

Users who are viewing this thread