Pro 5.0 Shifter Pic Request

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Anyone have pics during an install of the Pro 5.0? I have one on my car and the stock rubber boot was cut, I'm assuming to make room for the new shifter but I don't like that it's like that, are all Pro 5.0's installed this way? MGW sells an inner dust boot, but I don't think that it will work with my shifter.

SnakeStang96

SVT Crazy
Established Member
The stock rubber boot I think doesnt fit over it. I dont have one on mine and I have no problems. I can take some pics of it tomorrow if you want.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
the stock rubber boot doesnt fit......which you will have to cut the center of it, its pretty simple and should seal in and slip on the shifter.....we did it on the 94 GT with no hassle:beer: Ill take a picture tomorrow morning :beer:

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
My center is already cut out as it was installed by the previous owner, but I was just curious if it could be done without doing that. That's another plus about the MGW, you don't have to cut out the entire center, just the first rib and you can buy the inner dust boot that they sell to quiet down road noise and keep out more dirt and debris.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
The stock rubber boot will fit over it if you buy a new one, when I got my Cobra it had the Pro 50 on it and there was a ton of tranny noise and heat coming up there because the previous owner cut the shit out of the boot.

I got a new boot from Ford and just slipped the skinny part of the rubber boot down until it was right above the top allen screw bolt that connects the shifter arm to the lower part and bolted the boot base down. It stretches the rubber a bit but works great and got rid of almost all of the noise and heat that was coming up there.

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Ciotti said:
The stock rubber boot will fit over it if you buy a new one, when I got my Cobra it had the Pro 50 on it and there was a ton of tranny noise and heat coming up there because the previous owner cut the shit out of the boot.

I got a new boot from Ford and just slipped the skinny part of the rubber boot down until it was right above the top allen screw bolt that connects the shifter arm to the lower part and bolted the boot base down. It stretches the rubber a bit but works great and got rid of almost all of the noise and heat that was coming up there.
That's good to know, and is exactly what I'm looking for. Does it stretch the boot out to much to the point where it will rip over time? How much do the boots go for from Ford?

Ciotti, do you have a pic of that setup so I can see what it looks like?

Last edited:

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
I knew you were going to ask for a pic :)

I actually don't have a pic but it doesn't stretch it so much that it will rip, mine was I think $40 from Ford.

1stCobra

"Get Furious"
Established Member
I didn't have to cut my factory boot on mine... Took some work but I got her to work....

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Ciotti said:

I just picked up a new shift boot today after putting it off for a while. Installed it just like you said with the rubbing sitting right above the top allen skrew. Did you use anything to seal off the little opening that was left around that area?

It definatly quieted down the road noise and reduced heat. The interior panels around the shifter use to get real hot after 10 minutes of driving, now barely anything. Maybe the shift boots made back when the cars first came out weren't big enough or didn't have as much play in the rubber, causing them not to fit with the Pro 5.0.

Users who are viewing this thread