Pro 5.0 Shifter installed last night

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Last night me and my 10 year old son installed my Pro 5.0 shifter I got from the group purchase just recently. I have put a Steeda Tri-Ax on my 2000 GT, so I knew the drill. Easy as pie, hated cutting the stock boot for some reason. Install took less than 30 min. - most of that was cleaning the old ATV sealer left over from the stock shifter. Drove the Cobra into work today, and all I can say is - WOW. I knew from the first time I test drove a 03 Cobra, the shifter would be my first mod, but I figured a shifter can only do so much. I have always had to fight to get through each gear - and attributed this to a new-to-me T-56 transmission. It is smooth as silk now. And, I don't have the noise and vibration I have with my Tri-Ax on my GT. Best of both worlds. I would definately say the Pro 5.0 is the way to go on these machines, and brings much more driving pleasure than you would believe. Now - for that MGW shifter handle - I am sick of banging my knuckles into the dash on first gear with the standard short shifter handle that comes with the Pro 5.0...:cuss:

lifter213

Established Member
Hmm maybe i should have went with the Pro 5.0. I had the 5.0 in my GT and i loved it but had to get a Tri-ax handle for it so i figured in the Cobra i might as well just get both at the same time and get the Steeda. But the Tri-ax has alot of noise that i dont care for. I'm going to have to do something about the noise. :burn:

coleman

Established Member
geez, did everyone put in their PRO-5.0 just last night?
i'm not mechanically inclined, but the install was fairly painless except for breaking the old shifter from the trany...
i too had to cut the boot :(
the new shifter is a little louder -- i think. but i never paid as much attention to the noise with the old one, so i can't say for sure.
but the feeling is more precise... now to just get used to it.

Lomancobra

Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
Last night me and my 10 year old son installed my Pro 5.0 shifter I got from the group purchase just recently. I have put a Steeda Tri-Ax on my 2000 GT, so I knew the drill. Easy as pie, hated cutting the stock boot for some reason. Install took less than 30 min. - most of that was cleaning the old ATV sealer left over from the stock shifter. Drove the Cobra into work today, and all I can say is - WOW. I knew from the first time I test drove a 03 Cobra, the shifter would be my first mod, but I figured a shifter can only do so much. I have always had to fight to get through each gear - and attributed this to a new-to-me T-56 transmission. It is smooth as silk now. And, I don't have the noise and vibration I have with my Tri-Ax on my GT. Best of both worlds. I would definately say the Pro 5.0 is the way to go on these machines, and brings much more driving pleasure than you would believe. Now - for that MGW shifter handle - I am sick of banging my knuckles into the dash on first gear with the standard short shifter handle that comes with the Pro 5.0...:cuss:

I installed mine last week from the group purchase. I love it, like you said, its like silk. However, I am changing the cds everytime i shift into third, which is so much easier to do by the way. I ordered the MGW handle as well, but its on backorder :cryying: Lady said it would take a week and a half to get in. I think everyone who got a Pro 5.0 from the group purchase automatically ordered an MGW handle. :lol:
If anyone is ordering a Pro 5.0 find a new handle, that reaches back toward you a little.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Installed mine last night. Nice to have it back.

Ordered the Steeda Tri / Ax handle for it at the same time.

It came with a Tri / Ax shifter for a GT as a "bonus prize".

Needless to say when I called to tell them they had mistakenly added a $170.00 shifter to my order they were pleased.

Hopefully I can get it back to them without too much trouble.

Last edited:

2003snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Jsears8
I will buy your Pro 5.0 handle, I need it for my Trans Am. I will e-mail you...

Justin

I still have it if you want it......emai me....

J

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Installed my Pro 5.0 this evening and SUPER is all I can say. I've had the 5.0 in a 94GT, 01 Cobra and now the '03 Cobra. It is the quietest in the '03 Cobra. Works like a charm (even with the 5.0 handle). Very precise... no wondering what gear I'm hunting.. very nice.....

Bosko

Established Member
I installed mine and I love it. Why do the instructions want you to cut the rubber boot anyways? I didnt cut mine I just left the hole the same size and squeezed it down. The rubbers not overly tight or anything. The only reason why I didnt want to cut the rubber was because on my 95 the guys that put it in cut the rubber and I kept getting HOT Air coming up into the console. It made it shitty to drive on HOT days.

FlashSVT

Established Member
I installed mine and I love it. Why do the instructions want you to cut the rubber boot anyways? I didnt cut mine I just left the hole the same size and squeezed it down. The rubbers not overly tight or anything. The only reason why I didnt want to cut the rubber was because on my 95 the guys that put it in cut the rubber and I kept getting HOT Air coming up into the console. It made it shitty to drive on HOT days.
I did it both ways. It moves much more freely with the boot cut.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
The reason you cut the rubber.. is to then put it BELOW the stop bolts.. so it seals everything BELOW the car from coming up on to the top of the 5.0 shifter. If you don't do it that way you'll get crud into the top of the shifter. Ford used two... one smaller boot that comes off with the stock shifter.. it seals the dust and crud from getting down thru the shifter into the trans....
The one 5.0 wants us to cut.. keeps the hot air and crud from getting up into the car.....

The 5.0 shifter doesn't come with the dust seal like the stock one.. but used the one they tell you to cut to serve two purposes.

Were I you. I would go back in there and cut it and push it down around the tower.. under the stop bolts....

Users who are viewing this thread