Pro 5.0 shifter install on a Fox???

Modular4vFox

Nobama!!!
Established Member
ok, so I finally got my new PRO50 in the mail.

Tried to install it today, but can't the stock shifter off. Because of the 2 bolts up front that are underneath the metal top of the trans tunnel with only a 1/2 inch or so gap.
I can bearly get an open end wrench on them.

Anyone experience this?

Seems like my trans shifter location is further foward than it should be. Or maybe I'm an idiot...? :shrug: It's a stock T-5 though.

Any ideas???

9T3SVT

Established Member
I had the same problem, you need a ratcheting box wrench or you have to keep stabbing at it with the open end of a standard box wrench. Trust me it will work if you take the time, good luck.

Modular4vFox

Nobama!!!
Established Member
I just read I have to remove the center console...

Is that really neccessary? It doesn't mention it in PRO50's instructions.

stangbear427

Established Member
It's actually plastic- the thing in your way. In two of my cars I simply cut little notches out of it so I could get a socket straight on the bolts. Makes it way easier, but then, I changed shifters A LOT. It was covered by the shift besel, doesn't affect anything. I won't likely do it when I change shifters in the Cobra, because I've got ratcheting box ends now, but I tell you what- if they don't work like duck soup it's getting notched out just like all the others.

tommygun

Established Member
Ive use a 1/4 in drive set up with a 13mm socket thats short and a 4in extension. You can also take a pair of dykes and trim the plastic on the console just above where the bolts are and its hidden when you install the shifter boot back on.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
use a swivel or universal (whatever you term is for it) between the extension and the short wall socket

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I've only had issues with the two forward bolts that hold the lower shifter boot in place. Once that's gone, the trans shifter itself has been easy to get to.

You could pull one of the side bolts from the trans crossmember to drop it down a bit to allow you to get in there.

Modular4vFox

Nobama!!!
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I've only had issues with the two forward bolts that hold the lower shifter boot in place. Once that's gone, the trans shifter itself has been easy to get to.

You could pull one of the side bolts from the trans crossmember to drop it down a bit to allow you to get in there.
That's the problem I'm having. It's that damn metal ring that holds the rubber boot in place. Can't get to the front bolts.

Gonna try the crossmember to let the trans drop a bit. Never thought of that thanks.

tommygun

Established Member
trans might leak fluid... be prepared

you can get it with 1/4 stuff with a swivel...

Users who are viewing this thread