PRO 5.0 and 3rd gear question

rmoreau

Established Member
Hi all,

I put my PRO in and thought at first I had some vibration, but only in 3rd gear.

I have since realized its not vibration at all, but rather "chatter" from third gear. If I push in slightly ( resting palm on shifter) it goes away, If i release pressure I can feel the gearing.
I thought maybe I had the stops mis-adjusted so I took it all apart and re-adj, but I still have it.

It feels like the shifter is just about to dis-engage from third, but it never pops out on its own.

Any thoughts?

Randy

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Yeah it sounds like you might have the stop out too far. I would check that first. -Mat-

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Randy, id never seen the Pro 5.0 but im sure its like any other.
I had chatter noise in all gears till i got the exhaust. All i hear now is exhaust :D

As for the 3rd Gear it shouldnt feel like it wants to dis-engage. If ur taking ur car to XMP tomorrow let me check her out ;-)

Do the Pro 5.0 base plate adjust in forward or backwards movements like the B&M Shifters? If not the Ball Joint should just go right into the Transmittion.

rmoreau

Established Member
I'll see you Poison tomorrow.

I will check the base bolts. I hope thats what it is.

All the stops have been set with the fact our units have internal stops.

Thank you all for the help.

Randy

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by rmoreau
I'll see you Poison tomorrow.

I will check the base bolts. I hope thats what it is.

All the stops have been set with the fact our units have internal stops.

Thank you all for the help.

Randy

Randy let me check ur ride out as well ;-)

WS6Clint

Established Member
Did you use RTV sealant between the shifter plate and the top of the trans? I didn't when I put a Ripper in my old WS6, rattled just like you described, stopped when pressure was applied. Took shifter out, applied RTV, no more rattles.

Just a thought.

rmoreau

Established Member
Yes, I used the RTV, although sparingly.

The rattle isn't in every gear, just third. It just feels like it is not engaging thoroughly. All other gears feel great and solid.

And again, it isn't a vibration like a buzz or loose metal to metal rattle. I am certain that I am feeling the gears mesh just past the point of engagement. I can replicate the feeling in any gear if I pull back slightly on the stick, almost to the point of coming out of gear.

Hope this adds some clarity.

Randy

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Did you try backing the stop off fully to see if it still did it?

rmoreau

Established Member
Yes, I drove around this week with the stops completly backed off.

I was at XMP with Pmoddy and the so cal crew today, while I was there I asked the infamous Eric if he would drive the car and give me his opinion.

He said my car does have more vibration in third, but that the gear and shifter were fully engaged and not in any danger of damaging things internally. He also noted that I have the same amount of "free-play" in third as the other gears do.

I will still keep an eye on it and post if I hear anything more.

Thank you to all who posted to try to help on this. We all take our cars very seriously and its nice to know so many of us are ready to help.

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread