Priming a 2004 Terminator

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Hello All.

I hope someone has a good suggestion for my issue. I have a 04 Termi, that has unfortunately sat without the transmission, and worse off, without being run for over a year. Has anyone successfully primed any of the modular engines, and moreover, are they sure there was no bearing, journal, cylinder damage? Your help would be greatfully appreciated!

Coosawjack

Established Member
Hold accelerator pedal to the floor and crank it over until you have oil pressure then return accelerator to idle position and start it!!;) Holding accelerator to the floor shuts off fuel and it won't start!!:)

cj428mach

Established Member
Hold accelerator pedal to the floor and crank it over until you have oil pressure then return accelerator to idle position and start it!!;) Holding accelerator to the floor shuts off fuel and it won't start!!:)

That doesn't help that the engine will still be spinning with no oil film on the parts.

Search Malcolmv8, he's posted about priming a mod motor with a weed sprayer if I remember right.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Spinning the engine with no load is harmless.......the oil pressure should come up VERY QUICKLY!!
If ya wanna spin it faster remove the spark plugs but it's really not necessary!!

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm just a bit worried about starting it up after sitting without fresh oil on it for so old. I know it will presurize fairly quickly, but I'd like to avoid taking any chances. I'll look up the garden sprayer trick, but I'm guessing I already know about that. The best way; pressurized oil after rotating it slowly by hand, but at what expense. Anyway, thanks guys.

Sent from my 2PS64 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
Spinning the engine with no load is harmless.......the oil pressure should come up VERY QUICKLY!!
If ya wanna spin it faster remove the spark plugs but it's really not necessary!!

I guess thats why engine builders assemble engines with all the surfaces coated in oil.

cj428mach

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm just a bit worried about starting it up after sitting without fresh oil on it for so old. I know it will presurize fairly quickly, but I'd like to avoid taking any chances. I'll look up the garden sprayer trick, but I'm guessing I already know about that. The best way; pressurized oil after rotating it slowly by hand, but at what expense. Anyway, thanks guys.

I believe Malcolm was removing the oil filter and blowing oil into the motor under pressure through the oil galleys. If memory serves me he was even able to get enough oil and pressure to take slack out of the timing chain tensioners.

Coosawjack

Established Member
What do OEM Manufacturers do......pull and engine off the shelf......put it in the car on the assembly line.......crank it at the end......drive it to the lot FAST!!
I agree......independents cannot afford to have failures so they are over cautious......but this engine has run before and there is oil on the surfaces......I'd crank it over to get oil pressure and then start it!!
BTW......most builders use a thick lube that stays put for a long time.......I did on all that I've built!!

Terminator Dave

Established Member
I believe Malcolm was removing the oil filter and blowing oil into the motor under pressure through the oil galleys. If memory serves me he was even able to get enough oil and pressure to take slack out of the timing chain tensioners.
OK. I'll find someplace to pressurize it. I'd rather find a fitting I can use, rather than get oil everywhere. Thanks for everyones input.

Users who are viewing this thread