Price of gear swap?

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
I did a few calculations and I know I will need to go down on my gears. I plan on going to 3.31's. My question is how much do I need to budget for labor? I know there are different prices across the nation but I would love a round a bout number so I can at least have a mindset when I do set out to get it done. Thanks

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I paid $250 to have new axles, a differential, and gears put into mine. I brought my axle to them though.

Funny5.0

Established Member
Jeeze. Anyone know of anyone in Maryland that will do gears for $350(labor)? Every place Ive called is like 6-700 for labor.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Yea that was going to be my next question. If it isnt that hard 9 times out of 10 ill give doing it myself a shot. Just thought it wasa difficult job.

It is a very precise job. If you just throw it together, it isn't done right. There is a .001" wide window where the gears will be completely quiet and the factory usually misses it.

Do ya feel lucky?

highpsi615

Established Member
In the Memphis area a full install runs 6-650 including gears, bearings, and fluid. I guess roughly 350-400 labor only around here. These are from two shops with excellent reputations. HTH

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I paid $250 for labor in Houston. It's not a job for beginners. You have to know how to read the paint marks on the gears in order to make adjustments among other things. 9 inch setups are the easiest. When I was rebuilding them that was the main one I did.

Users who are viewing this thread