Presenting ID in Virginia

cohhbra

Established Member
I know that in some states, residents are obligated if asked to present identification if asked by the police or so I've heard, but recently on my campus cops have been asking people to present their ID's while all they are doing is walking on the street doing nothing wrong. I wanted to know because I thought that in Virginia I don't have to present my ID or even disclose my name, is this true?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I know that in some states, residents are obligated if asked to present identification if asked by the police or so I've heard, but recently on my campus cops have been asking people to present their ID's while all they are doing is walking on the street doing nothing wrong. I wanted to know because I thought that in Virginia I don't have to present my ID or even disclose my name, is this true?

You must identify yourself if asked to do so by a L.E.O. That does not necessarily mean that you have to produce ID if you can convince the officer of your true identity without it.

On campus is a different story. As a student on a University campus there are different standards and you actually have less rights.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Depends on the state law. Some states put limits on LEO's demanding ID. In Nevada for example... Only the driver of a vehicle lawfully stopped or an individual suspected of committing, committed or about to commit a crime. Beyond the driver, no physical ID card is required.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Depends on the state law. Some states put limits on LEO's demanding ID. In Nevada for example... Only the driver of a vehicle lawfully stopped or an individual suspected of committing, committed or about to commit a crime. Beyond the driver, no physical ID card is required.

However, if asked the passengers must still identify themselves in a verifiable manner.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Good to know about having less rights on campus, thanks for the reply

This will create more questions than it answered.

On campus a student is subject to the policies of the University. When the student signed papers to matriculate there, they agreed to certain policies and procedures. Most often one of those is that the campus police have authority to conduct searches while on campus property. Such as lockers, storage areas, etc.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
However, if asked the passengers must still identify themselves in a verifiable manner.

Nevada law is a little different than some. Except for a driver who has been lawfully stopped, a law enforcement officer cannot require id (verbal or otherwise) unless that officer can articulate RS criminal activity is/has/was being conducted.

This specific topic was covered at our latest AUSA's legal update briefing.

Last edited:

LUBaseball2

Established Member
before my post was removed... i asked what school you went to because of the fact in virginia there is a school called longwood where apparently the police dont have to follow any rules... and that is why they were under investigation and a lot of the police were fired in farmville.... so i was just curious if thats where this took place because that would be the norm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread