Preperations to ship Cobra 2500 miles in Open Trailer

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
I will be shipping my car here soon and need to know what you guys do to prepair it for shipping.

I was thinking about putting a good coat of wax on it to protect it a bit and taping off the front bumper and side skirts as well as the mirrors.

Would you want to have your car shipped on the top or bottom rack?

Should I leave the plate on the car?

Any other recommendations?

Unfortunately I don't have a valet tune so it will be shipped with the street tune so that's a bit scary but otherwise I should be good.

I was going to take a pic of the milage before I dropped it off and when I get it.

I was also thinking about turning my kb 2.2 off, I read something about being able to do this on here a while ago in one of my threads. Anyone heard of this boost bypass thing?

Atfter shipping I was thinking would be the best time to polish it with my buffer.

I thought I saw something on Cobrabobs site about this but can't seem to locate it :shrug:

:beer:

Silverboost

Established Member
i don't believe you can turn your blower off, but you can get a really short belt and just bypass the blower all together. If you have the SCT Excal II there is a valet program that you can load from the software that you download for free. Call your tuner and I am sure they will give you one.

Last edited:

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Hmmm, never thought of that.

I was under the impression that there was a boost bypass lever on my KB or something. One of the guys mentioned it in one of my threads a long time ago. IDK though, I could be mistaken.

Thanks

twhitey

Established Member
I would try to get a tune set up very rich and 2500 rpm redline. Sucks you have to send it open trailer. i think the waxing before and detail after is a good idea IDK how much it will help tho.

04CobraMatt

Established Member
definatly bottom rack. It will hit alot of bugs on the top rack...

x2 for a transport tune. Would be very easy to set the rev limiter to 2000 or 2500rpm.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
If you can: You would want it placed on the top rack & toward the rear.
But the problem would be where are all the other vehicles are going...
because he/she may need to pull your ride off & on in order to load/unload the other cars/trucks. Heck, you may be lucky & all the other vehicles are all heading to the same destination/depot.
-Definitely mention any clutch issues so that they don't over-rev or excessive rolling causing your car slide.
-Definitely be sure to use a decent seat cover or heavy-duty sheet/blanket on the driver's seat to minimize dirt, pen marks, and possible rips.
-Review your insurance policy about commerical transport of your car & the trucking companies policy of any subsequent damage during transit. You don't want to find your door dinged up because the driver doesn't fit in your car causing him to press your door up against the carrier-rack to slide out.
>
The tape idea would bad.... it all depends on the type you use & how it's applied. Weather conditions, day & nite temps, semi's highway speeds are factors- the piece of tape could pull apart & start "whipping" the body panels causing clear-coat damage. But if you do it, post an update on how it turned out.
>>>
I had a truck shipped on an open trailer semi cross-country [CA to NH] and it was on the top rack @ the front of the trailer portion but facing backward. It was a modified Kenworth/Peterbuilt that held two vehicles on the upper rack with space for a small vehicle behind the sleeper & the "5-wheel" chassis/ground level pulling a car carrier open-rack trailer.
I had immediately washed it after signing the paperwork, and found carbon spots dried on all over the tailgate, down the sides. I believe it was the carbon residue from the semi's dual exhaust stack blowing that black soot down the highway.
A co-worker had his truck on the lower level & was not so lucky: ended-up with a nasty hood "rash" from a pair of dangling chains swinging off the upper rack & dried oil spots both from the car above.
>
Take lots of pics @ different angles and especially if you get to witness it being loaded. Lastly, pay close attention to the inspection sheets- question every flaw that he marks off if you are unsure.
Good Luck!

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Ok thanks. So do you think the tape would be bad? I was going to use painters tape, like what I use to tape it off when I polish it.

I will try to get it toward th back if possible, I was thinking the top would be better so I wouldn't have any oil etc. dripped from the car above.

I will take lots of pics, and look into the insurance thing also.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread