Preparations for when engine is ready to be re-installed

starnsey

Established Member
So although I have a Mach 1, I figured anyone could really answer this question. I'm waiting for parts to come back from powdercoating, but as soon as they show up I'll be ready to start putting my car back together. The car has been sitting since August with the engine pulled (replaced all valve springs due to one failing at idle - see here: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...lacement-(-quot-build-quot-thread)&highlight= ). So what do I need to do to prepare for it's first start since the repair?

Do I need to drain the fuel?
Is it going to be okay to just install and start? I know it's pretty dry since it's been sitting (crank has gotten harder and harder to turn using a wrench as it sits).
What preparations do I need to do before I turn the engine over for the first time after this many months?

JeronimoJC

Established Member
You probably don't need anything. If you still feel uneasy, add some higher octane fuel.

Have you done a cooling mod? Did you change cams? Oil catch can?

oldmodman

Established Member
If you have the time and are worried about a dry start you should pre-lube the engine.

I just got a garden sprayer, filled it with oil and attached it to the boss that the oil pressure idiot light plugs into.

Then I pumped the sprayer up and let the pressure force the oil throughout the new, dry engine.

I pumped enough oil to show full on the dipstick. They hooked the oil pressure (switch) back up and started the engine.

I got instant oil pressure from my Auto meter gauge. (it's connected to a real pressure transducer)

starnsey

Established Member
You probably don't need anything. If you still feel uneasy, add some higher octane fuel.

Have you done a cooling mod? Did you change cams? Oil catch can?

Cooling mod is already done. No cam change: thought about it but didn't want the car down any longer than it needed to be especially since the HP increase wouldn't be worth the money (already at about 390 RWHP NA)

If you have the time and are worried about a dry start you should pre-lube the engine.

I just got a garden sprayer, filled it with oil and attached it to the boss that the oil pressure idiot light plugs into.

Then I pumped the sprayer up and let the pressure force the oil throughout the new, dry engine.

I pumped enough oil to show full on the dipstick. They hooked the oil pressure (switch) back up and started the engine.

I got instant oil pressure from my Auto meter gauge. (it's connected to a real pressure transducer)

Wow, that's a clever idea!

Users who are viewing this thread