Prep question

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
How do you tape off your car before polishing? I know to tape off weatherstripping, trim and badging but do you also tape off the gaps, like in between the fenders, hood and doors? Thanks

T0RCH3D

Established Member
I only tape of badging and some weatherstripping near pillars, as most will say the more you detail the less you mask off. Taping is not a bad habit though, and can save your ass. But I would have to say going as far as taping between panels is a waste of time and tape.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I only tape of badging and some weatherstripping near pillars, as most will say the more you detail the less you mask off. Taping is not a bad habit though, and can save your ass. But I would have to say going as far as taping between panels is a waste of time and tape.
i agree taping between panels is a waste of time lol just wash it after and spray or air hose out the jams. and also i tape everything that i dont buff. Cover my top in a sheet and windows and tape up everything else, mirrors, cowl, weatherstrips, emblems, grill, lights etc

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
One more question. How do you use the porter cable around the COBRA lettering on the rear bumper if you have stainless steel cobra inserts. What is the easiest/best way. Thanks again.

MattZ28

Established Member
Personally, I'd mask off the lettering and if you really want to be anal, polish those areas by hand using a minimal amount of product. Running a buffer over the lettering will cause a mess of built up residue. (this is assuming you have inlays/stickers in the bumper lettering. If not, you can buff over it without any real issues)

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Thanks again Matt and Torched. I will tape them off and finish the back of my car today. I have the chrome SS inserts on my car. I have been taking my time but man this is a long process! haha

Users who are viewing this thread