Prenups?

04 Redline

Established Member
Long read. I had an interesting conversation the other day. My gf and I get along very well. She is an amazing girl and thinks I am an amazing guy as well. Anyway, we were talking the other day, you know when you're just throwing things out there during pillow talk, and the talk of marriage came up, and the preparations for it. Before I begin, let me give you the backround. She wants to get married and have a child within two years. I understand that and I guess I feel the same way (time will tell of course). She said that she is the type of woman who doesn't believe in anyone else raising her kids as she feels it is her duty as a woman to take care of her man :pepper: , keep the household tidy, and raise the kid without childcare. Very noble and rare attributes indeed. So, I disclosed that I believe in prenups. Oh WOW! Never have I seen a beautiful face turn with the upmost disgust. "Really, you think that's fair!" I replied, "Yes." She then presents, "So, you think this isn't going to work." She finds me incredibly attractive, and is a little worried that I might not find her attractive after the potential birth. I explained that I wouldn't take the plunge of marriage or children unless I knew it was right. I'll continue on. "So what if you decide to leave, and I'm left jobless? I'd be out of the work force for X amount of years, and you'd still have your job skills, and would continue on easily? More backround. I am 23, and will be 24 in a couple of months, so the idea of marriage at that age doesn't seen hasty. I own two condo's, have a FICO of 752, college educated at UCLA, hard working, and have been employed at my Ford dealership for over 2 years, and will continue to work there, and hopefully rise in rank if I perform exceptionally. In order for me to buy these properties, I worked about 6 days a week, for over 1.5 years without ever taking a weekend off. I saved to cover my closing costs, have a cushion of funds in savings to be available if times required, and had enough to pay for property taxes. I said, "I am not saying we will not work. If I were to take the plunge, I would make sure that you are the right one for me. The reason why I want to accumulate property is not for my personal wealth, its to secure my future family's well being. 50% of marriages do fail, and I will do all I can to see that that does not happen." Then she says that I am entitled to my opinion, and that she would not sign one. Great, I've met an amazing girl, and this piece of paper could ruin what I have. She then says that when she gets married, she would like to keep her last name, until children are born, and then she'd have it changed. Naturally, I was confused by this, but I bet she probably felt the same of my opinion, so I guess I understand that.
I am just wondering how many of you guys have had this document implemented, and if has helped, hurt, or be unneeded. I still am going to do this. She has turned around, and we are both really happy with each other. It wasn't really a fight, as we took care of it by talking for about 3 HOURS! She is willing to sign it now, and I would be willing to accept the last name thing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread