premium or base...hard desicion help?

Djstorm100

Established Member
Been looking hard and found some 12's base and premium but is the premium worth it?

What does the premium come with over the base?

Another thing is I test drove a 13 today with the shaker 500 sound system and wow sounds like speakers in the well....what's that lassie? Timmy is in the well? Seriously it actually sucks, sound like the music was being muffled.

Jonas487

I went with the base model knowing that I was going to change the suspension, head unit(along with speakers), etc to my liking. The premium comes with leather, sync, ambient lighting, and a few other available options. The nav system is pretty nice, if you're able to find a used premium model with it I would take that over a regular premium just for the nav. You can use buy/sell websites like KBB and Edmund to compare features. Good luck

Bloo

Established Member
You can get a premium steering wheel for $200, and leather for $300. If you want the ambient lighting and sync, than go for it.

natedog_1959

Established Member
Premium all the way. You may be able to piece the premium bits together, but unless you are very handy, you will have to pay someone to install them all. I'm not sure if the cloth seat airbags will function properly if you re-upohlster them in leather.

Nate

BPatterson

Established Member
Premium. Go ahead and start out with the nice stuff rather than have to buy the parts here and there and install them yourself.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Premium...Got in a base car the other day and was blown away by the difference...Biggest turn-off was the steering wheel, but like others have said you could always upgrade....Came down to price for me. I was in the market for a low mileage 11-12. Found my 5K mile '11 Premium for a great price and couldn't say no.

Last edited:

fake

Established Member
Get a base and make the changes you want. I upgraded my stereo for $300.00 and it will blow a shaker system away.

I don't care for all the fancy crap. I like my car simple and basic.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
It depends on what you are willing to do yourself.
You can buy a base and spend $1500 on a Nav/Stereo system. Put in a Premium steering wheel for $125 and buy the wheels you want.
Or buy a premium.
I opt for a base/auto for one reason. I was going to race it.
If I wanted a DD or cruiser I would have bought the Premium.
The base model will let a lot of people get into a GT that otherwise can't afford the payments on a Premium model.

burke985

Established Member
I bought a base because thats all they had on the lot. My brother has a premium and honestly the only thing im jealous of is his leather seats. Anything on a mustang can either be added or upgraded if you so desire with better than stock parts. If I did it all over again id get a base brembo with recaros

Last edited:

Pred_mech

Established Member
Premium all the way. I almost bought a base but the premium was just worth it to me. Just sit in both and the difference will speak for itself.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I have the base model, the only thing I don't like is the seats but I'm sure I can upgrade to race seats for cheaper than factory leather.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Just depends on your goals for the vehicle.

If your going to make it a full blown racecar then a base is the way to go.

If your going to DD and go to the track occasionally then premium is a no brainer.

-Thomas

kingnut

Established Member
idk what you what you were playing to make the shaker 500 sound muffled. ive had multiple amp and component setups over the years and it sounded great for a stock system. adjusting the bass and using an ipod it should sound pretty good. also premium > base. and get recaros

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Although you can't beat the smell leather seats give off. I'm not a fan of the leather seats that come in the premium model. I don't like sliding around in the seat when you toss the car into a hard turn. Or how hot or cold they are in summer and winter.
Cloth Racing seats like Recaros are a better seat for a driver. The base seats are better at keeping you in the seat vs the leather.

11dsgGT

Established Member
If you want premium you get it without the frame of mind that you will be upgrading, unless you want HID's or the tech package. You know one of those addons that require the premium package. You can replace everything you get on the premium package for close to the same price.

Get the base and for $2000 you can get cobreau seats and upgrade the dash with plastidipped pieces for around $1200.

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
Although you can't beat the smell leather seats give off. I'm not a fan of the leather seats that come in the premium model. I don't like sliding around in the seat when you toss the car into a hard turn. Or how hot or cold they are in summer and winter.
Cloth Racing seats like Recaros are a better seat for a driver. The base seats are better at keeping you in the seat vs the leather.

I agree. However, I have the suede / leather combo, and they are awesome!

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
If you want to save money by buying a base, DO NOT drive a premium! I made that mistake. It really made me want a premium after that. My car looks a lot better now with leather and the Boss steering wheel now though. It's makes up for it. You can get new leather take offs pretty cheap off eBay. They resell the leathers that they take off to make Roushes and Saleen's for cheap. I say if you can afford it, get the premium.

gs462

Established Member
Get a base and make the changes you want. I upgraded my stereo for $300.00 and it will blow a shaker system away.

I don't care for all the fancy crap. I like my car simple and basic.

Can you provide details on the stereo upgrade??

Users who are viewing this thread