Preference for candidates with a Bachelors?

vulk

Established Member
Hello all. I am about to become 21 years old in January and have been going to Cal State University Northridge for 2 years. I will most likely be finishing school in about a year and a half as a Business Administration Finance major, however, I never stopped wanting to be a police officer. Since Im so close to finishing, I will most likely be applying to LAPD or LASD (whoever is hiring) toward the end of next year. Now for the question; am I more desirable as a candidate with a Finance degree, or does it really not make that big-a-deal? I have had 1 run in with the law, a misdemeanor for a halloween prank, but my probationary period will be over in 2 months. Everything else is clean- driving record, no drugs, no drinking, consistent employment, 750+ credit score etc.. What are your opinions on my chances of making it?

Krwy

Established Member
I'm going through the application process for CHP right now, a degree is not a requirement. The degree will help you move up through the ranks if you would like to move higher up. All the officers, background investigators, and the recruitment officers that I spoke with say it isn't a problem if you don't have one. It will help you in the long run, but thats about it. I was sweating it big time because unfortunately I do not have a degree. You need a good credit score, clean background with no major flags, good driving record and a clear head. When I was able to speak with a background investigator, he told me as long as you have a good head on your shoulders, good credit, good physical condition, and a great attitude for the career that you're getting into, you don't really have a problem getting in. If you're this close to finishing school, keep with it, because the SD,local PD, or even the CHP if you go that route, will always be there for you.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hello all. I am about to become 21 years old in January and have been going to Cal State University Northridge for 2 years. I will most likely be finishing school in about a year and a half as a Business Administration Finance major, however, I never stopped wanting to be a police officer. Since Im so close to finishing, I will most likely be applying to LAPD or LASD (whoever is hiring) toward the end of next year. Now for the question; am I more desirable as a candidate with a Finance degree, or does it really not make that big-a-deal? I have had 1 run in with the law, a misdemeanor for a halloween prank, but my probationary period will be over in 2 months. Everything else is clean- driving record, no drugs, no drinking, consistent employment, 750+ credit score etc.. What are your opinions on my chances of making it?

Although a degree is not a requirement in some place, it is in others. The places where it isnt a requirement it does give you a slight advantage as it shows a level of education and maturity. The degree area isnt so important on the local level. Your finance degree would be a plus on the federal level.

The misdemeanor will be a consideration but I doubt it will DQ you.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I agree with Adam; a degree is always a plus, however your particular field of knowledge is a growing recruitment challenge for head hunters in the corporate security world as well as in the federal alphabet soup world.

I know a highly experienced tax and investment banker type who was recruited by the FBI and is now working some of the high profile cases we are reading about these days.

Good luck; you should do well for yourself! Keep in mind, in the private/corporate world, you get to negotiate your compensation..:beer: ;-)

vulk

Established Member
Thanks to everyone who contributed their .02!! Sounds like great advice, but thats a given on SVTP. I do not know if I would want to work for the FBI, although I would definitely have a hard time passing it up if the opportunity presents itself (mainly because I want to have a family someday and it may interfere with the line of work.) However, regarding negotiating my compensation (mswaim,) I am fully aware of the private corporations and its lucrative possibilities lol; I have come to the conclusion that I need a job where I can be as physically involved as possible, because I am real health freak. My friend works for LAPD, and he told me if you work 1 day of overtime per week, you get around 80-90K take home.. and hes still on his probationary period. Not sure how true that statement is but I really dont care, because BA's rake in a mere 50K at best around here, during the first year. 80-90 is enough for a smart person, and im sure with some responsibility given to me by the PD, it can be the perfect job for me personally and financially. BTW Krwy, that Fox and L is freaking insane looking!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread