predator works...

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
while jhwalker and tetge are downstairs playing ping-pong, i thought i'd share something. while they were playing, i secretly took the autologic chip by swansons out of the car and plugged in the predator. downloaded the stock tune, retarded the timing all the way, increased the fuel all the way, installed the tune and went off...hmmmm, interesting...

the car pulled, hard, harder then with swansons tune it and only a faint ping at 1200 rpm in 6th gear at full throttle. so maybe winning that raffle was a good thing, cause it does work. now i gotta put the chip back in before he logs on and finds out...

Pyro

Established Member
Which tune did you use? I dont think you could have really hurt anything since the adjustments (both fuel and timing) are minor even at their maximum adjustments. I know that the fuel only changes 1 a/f point either way. I dont know what units they use for the timing percentages but I guess it only allows for so much retard and advancement. "Blowing up the motor" also depends on how you abuse it if the tune is slightly off. I wouldn't think Diablo would allow for major tweaking since they require a dyno tune. I think it's also a liability issue....ie. keeping the major adjustments in the hands of qualified (and paid) tuners. Enjoy the Predator...I know I am.

Last edited:

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
Originally posted by amwalker
while jhwalker and tetge are downstairs playing ping-pong, i thought i'd share something. while they were playing, i secretly took the autologic chip by swansons out of the car and plugged in the predator. downloaded the stock tune, retarded the timing all the way, increased the fuel all the way, installed the tune and went off...hmmmm, interesting...

the car pulled, hard, harder then with swansons tune it and only a faint ping at 1200 rpm in 6th gear at full throttle. so maybe winning that raffle was a good thing, cause it does work. now i gotta put the chip back in before he logs on and finds out...

Adam, do you think the predator can do some good on my KB, what u think?:p

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Lucky the car didn't go boom.

Actually lucky Tetge and I were beating outselves to death on the ping-pong table -- hey quit laughing you Socalers --- Tetge and JW issue a geriatric challlenge...
Casa da Walker JW and Pat against the friggggggin world... Pat's got game!!! Bring it on... A 12 second timeslip lets you challenge the 'elders'. Bring your wallets...
World TT rules --- 40 mm ball, games to 11, service change every two points. Speed glueing allowed, other rules prevail. bring your 401k ....
JW

maoun

Established Member
adam, i was talking to your dad earlier.....sounds like you guys are gonna have fun with that shit man.

i'm gonna tune mine this week...we'll keep in touch when i do it

stang99

jhwalker is a twisted sadistic mf who enjoys torturing out of shape elderly old people with a game or two of table tennis. Not only don't I have game, but I may never walk again. That added to the fact that my car has lost horsepower and the 4.10's apparently hurt performance on the Eaton powered cars, has not made for a good weekend.
It was nice seeing the inside of Bell Canyon without being shot at by security. It was also interesting seeing hotel Walker. But my weak running car and the humiliation at table tennis led me to drink and depression.
I believe that I have over modded my car and I am now on the downward side of performance. The 2.8 pulley with the Billet Flow idlers does not slip but it may be overspinning the blower. My a/f is perfect and I have plently of timing but the HP/TQ is not there. The car is sort of doggy now. I attempted to follow jhwalker's vert on the 405 but he kept dropping me, and then he had to wait for me to catchup. I'd post my dyno results from today but I lost the floppy somewhere at the Walker's and, it did not seem to have useful data on it when we tried to view it. I really never saw the final numbers that my car made since I thought that everything was on the floppy but they were somewhere in the low 400's HP/TQ. Walker's car was in the above 450 range on all counts on the chip. Adam gave me a ride around Bell Canyon in the vert and it is an animal. No wonder it hauled at C-Bad. Can you say sand bagger?
It was impressive seeing the Predator working in person this evening. And, it does seem to actually work as advertised. Of course, I looked over the instructions and I couldn't understand a single thing that the Predator is capable of doing. I guess that's why jhwalker has a son that he carefully groomed/conned into being his mechanic/tuner/pit crew.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
T
You are the ultimate sand bagger. Your car was smoking hot yesterday. This is one of those times where the 10 or so hp difference on the dyno have no relation to what is happening on the road.
The thing I don't understand is how the noises coming from the engine bay during the dyno run can be so different for two cars that are the same make and have the same mods. Your engine seems smoother, quieter, like it has closer tolerances on some parts. I'd bet the difference is easily measured with a decibel meter.

All in all an interesting day. Very confusing, but some learning occured.
JW

Red BOLT99

Established Member
Becarfull with that" little Pinging"
It can, and will end up Biteing you were you don't want it to!
Just becarfull

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by Red BOLT99
Becarfull with that" little Pinging"
It can, and will end up Biteing you were you don't want it to!
Just becarfull

Well, the "little Ping" made me nervous so I reset the Diablo Pulley tune and replaced it with the Factory HP Tune until I can get it dyno'd. With the Factory HP Tune, there is no pinging AT ALL but the performance is nowhere near that of the Diablo Pulley tune. I will just leave it with the Factory HP Tune until I can get it on the dyno....maybe just richen it up a bit for now.

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
frank and randy,
tetge was actually with me when i made those test runs, and we really couldn't tell if it was just the interior pieces making noise or the tiniest amount of pinging, but no worries, cause the autologic is goin back in after jh takes it out and gets on it to feel it.
just a question for my own knowledge, isn't the greatest load placed on the motor during a low rpm run and full throttle in top gear? if so, when else would there be a situation where there is that kind of load on the motor during daily driving? wouldn't the load on the motor be a lot easier because of the gear ratios?

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Adam, I think you're right. At low rpms and high boost, there is a lot of pressure on the engine, because the exhaust is not being evacuated fast enough.

stang99

Adam left their dyno file out while he and his dad were playing table tennis and I secretly copied it.

Pyro

Established Member
frank and randy,
tetge was actually with me when i made those test runs, and we really couldn't tell if it was just the interior pieces making noise or the tiniest amount of pinging, but no worries, cause the autologic is goin back in after jh takes it out and gets on it to feel it.
just a question for my own knowledge, isn't the greatest load placed on the motor during a low rpm run and full throttle in top gear? if so, when else would there be a situation where there is that kind of load on the motor during daily driving? wouldn't the load on the motor be a lot easier because of the gear ratios?

Yes, I believe you are correct.

I just swapped out the 2.80 pulley and idler and put the 2.93" back in. I reset the Diablo Pulley tune and loaded it. Now there is no sign of pinging whatsoever. I did some low speed runs at WOT and low RPM's like you described and still no pinging but plenty of SOTP power, way more then before I had the Predator. I believe the tune was set using a 2.93 or at least using 93 octane. The Diablo Pulley tune seems to work perfectly with a 2.93" pulley and 91 octane gas.

I hope this helps some of you.

Pyro

Established Member
that reminds me, dad runs around 93-94 octane in the car

That might explain my issues....Damn California Crap gas!!:mj:

Users who are viewing this thread