Predator headaches

BillArf

Established Member
***UPDATE days after this thread began. PREDATOR was defective and that was the problem all along. It had nothing to do with my Remote Starter, etc. Read COMPLTE thread here especially if you cannot get the Predator to work on your vehicle!

Well, bought the Predator from Sal.. When it arrived I hooked it up to my '03 L and it failed big time.. The Predator will communicate with the L but cannot not / will not pull the stock tune off the L so the Predator will not function with my L. I spoke with Diablo Sport and Sal and because the Predator for our truck is so new no one has answers as to whath the problem is. The only thing unusual with my L is that I have a Remote Starter. Apparently, the Remote start involvement is what may be the problem. Only other possibly is that I may possibly have
a Predator with problems. The Predator is going to Diablo Sport for eval.. ANYWAY, anyone else having a similar problem? What I am seeing is Predator trys to get my factory tune off the L and it tells me to cycle key on and off. Then I get a message saying cannot get tune because it cannot see the ignition being turned back on. I disableb the Remote Start by removing its fuses but still the Predator is not able to do what it needs to do?? Any ideas or others with similar problems. Complaint I have at this point is that I have to pay the shipping of the Predator to Florida for it to be evaluated and undoubtedly have to pay return shipping to Sal so I can get my $ back on the Predator. My feeling is Diablo Sport should foot the bill in regard to shipping period. :cool: I'm sure in time Diablo Sport will be hearing from many others with similar problems as I as I am not the only one with an Automate Remote Starter by DEI. Diablo Sport eventually will have to get the Predator to be able to do its thing with vehicles with Remote Starters such as mine....

Last edited:

camcojb

Established Member
I've played with mine quite a bit without any problems. Only problem Sal and I had was with the way AOL deals with the files for the custom tunes, but he figured out how to bypass that deal. I do not have a remote start, but it sounds likely that the issue you have results from that. As you know there are a series of on/off with the key to get the tunes in or modified; if it can't pick up that the key has been cycled, then it won't continue loading/unloading the program.

Jody

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by camcojb
I've played with mine quite a bit without any problems. Only problem Sal and I had was with the way AOL deals with the files for the custom tunes, but he figured out how to bypass that deal. I do not have a remote start, but it sounds likely that the issue you have results from that. As you know there are a series of on/off with the key to get the tunes in or modified; if it can't pick up that the key has been cycled, then it won't continue loading/unloading the program.

Jody

Jody, The problem you were having with sending those large tune files was that either your interent provider or Sal's will not allow large email files to be received.. This is common with many internet providers. (Why anyone would stick with AOL these days is beyond my inmagination) ANYWAY, trick is to zip up the files with say WinZip and then send them... the file size will be much smaller. Another way woud be for you to leave say fullsize, unzipped tune file on an FTP site and Sal to download them from there. About my problem, you know the on off drill the Predator puts you through and that is where I am having headaches. PREDATOR / Diablo Sport may have to alter their Predator operating system or something to allow movement of files even if the ignition on is not sensed. As I said the Predator does in fact have contact with the L's computer BUT the Predator is just not getting what it wants to see in order to function. Diablo Sport will hopefully come up with a work around, etc. as I am not the only one with a Remote Start so in the long run will not be the only one with this Predator headache....

Last edited:

ralphy1798

Established Member
I have remote start and the predator. No problems like that here... I have the Viper remote start system if that helps...

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Originally posted by ralphy1798
I have remote start and the predator. No problems like that here... I have the Viper remote start system if that helps...
DEI- Viper= one in same;-)
no idea on geting it to connect though, got me stumped:shrug:

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by ralphy1798

Hmmmm, my remote start is made by DEI the same company that makes Viper and some others.

Last edited:

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
How hard is it to install a remote starter? How much do they cost and where can I find one? Sal's is PSP isn't it?

Thanks,

Helix

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by Helix
How hard is it to install a remote starter? How much do they cost and where can I find one? Sal's is PSP isn't it?

Thanks,

Helix

Yes, Sal is PSP. Personally, I would have a technician that is familar with Remote Starter installs do the job..

Bill,
That sucks balls dawg. I got mine from Sal and I have a remote start. I have had no trouble as of yet. Anyways I would have a technician do the install of a remote start.

BillArf

Established Member
I have spent a couple of hours tonight going over and over my Auto Mate Model 552 Remote Start manual and other DEI remote start info I gleened off their website. Anyway, my remote start has a feature called "Failsafe Starter Kill" . This feature can be set to Active or Passive mode. IF set to "Passive Mode" the Failsafe's Starter kill will automatically activate 30 seconds after the ignition has been turned off. This will keep the vehicles starter from cranking and I am assuming preventing possibly the "ignition ON" that Predator needs to see during the downloading stock tune process.. I THINK my L may just be set to "Passive mode" and when I'm using the Predator and turn the ignition key off as instructed by Predator that the Passive mode Starter Kill activates/kicks in and is the culprit. I have read tha manual and believe I know how to turn off Passive Mode and leave the thing on "Active mode" which does not automatically activate the Failsafe Starter kill after 30 seconds of the ignition key being turned off. If I can get it into Active Mode I may be able to get the Predator to work aok..
When I get the tested Predator back from Diablo Sport next week I will try out this idea and let all know here what happens.. Hmmmmm.... hope that is it! Ralphy and others with DEI made units, do you have Passive mode on or off ?

Last edited:

ralphy1798

Established Member
Originally posted by BillArf
I have spent a couple of hours tonight going over and over my Auto Mate Model 552 Remote Start manual and other DEI remote start info I gleened off their website. Anyway, my remote start has a feature called "Failsafe Starter Kill" . This feature can be set to Active or Passive mode. IF set to "Passive Mode" the Failsafe's Starter kill will automatically activate 30 seconds after the ignition has been turned off. This will keep the vehicles starter from cranking and I am assuming preventing possibly the "ignition ON" that Predator needs to see during the downloading stock tune process.. I THINK my L may just be set to "Passive mode" and when I'm using the Predator and turn the ignition key off as instructed by Predator that the Passive mode Starter Kill activates/kicks in and is the culprit. I have read tha manual and believe I know how to turn off Passive Mode and leave the thing on "Active mode" which does not automatically activate the Failsafe Starter kill after 30 seconds of the ignition key being turned off. If I can get it into Active Mode I may be able to get the Predator to work aok..
When I get the tested Predator back from Diablo Sport next week I will try out this idea and let all know here what happens.. Hmmmmm.... hope that is it! Ralphy and others with DEI made units, do you have Passive mode on or off ?

I dont know man, I had a stereo shop install mine. I will ask them if i get a chance on my way to lunch today...

BillArf

Established Member
Well, I went to two different remote starter install shops today and had them look over my DEI Remote Starter.
Both of the techs have been doing remote starter installs for a few years and are known to be very good at what they do. After looking over my DEI Remote Starter BOTH techs at the two different shops both said the same thing..... They said I had a remote starter and that is it ...... this Remote Starter was a decent one as it was made by DEI and that it was installed correctly and in a top notch manner by the original installer. Both said it was a remote starter and it does NOT have a starter kill feature or anything else that would effect the starter in any way shape or form. They said the remote starter was merely spliced into the ignition wires and that it could not / would not interfer with the start of the truck or the ignition procedure when you turn the key. After looking over my L they said that my aftermarket stereo amp may just be the culprit that was affecting the Predator when I tried to use the Predator. They said the amp went on with the key and quite possibly the amp was drawing enough power so the Predator was seeing a less then normal amt of power and thus not seeing the ignition being turned on as it needed to see.. Hmmmm, I do not know how to explain this any better. Anyway, both techs recommended pulling the large master fuse on the amp prior to trying to use the Predator. With the fuse out the stereo amp it would not draw power.. Hopefully the Predator will do it's job then where it failed before on me. The only items electrically that have been added to my stock L are the remote starter and the stereo amp.. I should get a replacement Predator in a few days and will try it again then. Oh, I talked to Diablo Sport and they didn't even test out the Predator I sent back 8-( as they were "too busy". They just sent me a new unit.. hmmm, I would have liked to know if that unit had tested aok.. Well will let you know what happens in a few days when I get the replacment Predator and try it again.

Bill, I was wondering what other power mods you had. I know efans and such can affect it. Hopefully the new Predator and the fuse will do the trick because the Predator is an awesome tool.

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by workspowerontop
Bill, I was wondering what other power mods you had. I know efans and such can affect it. Hopefully the new Predator and the fuse will do the trick because the Predator is an awesome tool.

Other then an S&B Powerstack Cold Air Filter Kit, NGK BR7EF Plugs with .036 gap I have nothing else installed.. I have a Metco 4# lower pulley and Gatorback upper and loader belts ready to install if and when I get the Predator to work.. For a list of all my mods, performance or otherwise ($4000+ so far) go to
http://www.auffarth.com/LightningSpecs.html

YEs, i am in hopes I can get the friggggin Predator to work on my L.. will keep you posted via notes here.

REDLIGHT99

The problem is not the auto start it is the predator may have missing file. my truck was used in the testing of the predator programs and had the same problem with a predator unit so we exchanged units and new one was perfect when installing tunes make sure all electronics in truck are off radio etc.... hope this helps

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by REDLIGHT99
The problem is not the auto start it is the predator may have missing file. my truck was used in the testing of the predator programs and had the same problem with a predator unit so we exchanged units and new one was perfect when installing tunes make sure all electronics in truck are off radio etc.... hope this helps

I appreciate your input on this matter! I will know more when I get the replacement Predator on Friday. Hope to hell it is just that I had a frigged up Predator.

BillArf

Established Member
PREDATOR WORKING FOR ME NOW!

Well, would you believe the original Predator I had was DEFECTIVE! Received a new Predator from Diablo Sport today and it works with my L.. Am also able to move files from the Predator to my PC, etc.. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread