Predator dyno results...

n0xlf

Established Member
Finally got the dyno done with the Predator...I thought the AF was a little flatter than it actually is, just because of the way the graph looked there...I'm happy with the power, but still wonder if a flatter custom tune would be in order...Changing my timing from the stock Predator to max (10%) didn't change power one bit, and changing fuel to max rich lowered AF a hair, with no change in power, so that was nice...A datalog of the last (green) run showed timing peak at 29 degrees...

Mods for all runs are:
2.90 upper, Bassani catback, UPR CAI

Runs are:
BLUE: No tune
RED: Stock Predator Pulley Tune
GREEN: Predator Pulley Tune max rich fuel, max timing

dyno.jpg

Last edited:

n0xlf

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
I'm no expert but that A/F looks ugly.

Possibly..I also wonder how much truth there is to the actual AF being 1 point lower than what the dyno wideband shows...I keep hearing that everywhere...

I also pulled my #7 plug, since that seems to be the ugly cylinder for a lot of people, and it looked great...

sir-blah

Established Member
My AF looked the same with the stock pred tune just a bit lower. After leaning about 1% it started at 14.3 and dropped almost identically to yours

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Did you do the tailpipe sniffer?

Also, what are the specifics on your car (03/04, 1st/2nd/3rd run, etc.)?

BTW, that AF looks awful. Mine, with no chip and a 2.93 looks better than that with a tailpipe sniffer, and I had very minor (inaudible) detonation before fiddling with my plugs.

Not trying to scare you, just giving you my opinion.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
you give me hope.

:bowdown:

I have similar mods and I want 450rwhp. I will be at a dyno next weekend to find out. Thanks for the post.

:beer:

trey193

Established Member
What rpms did you observe 29 degrees of timing???? That is the most I have ever heard of and would def. require good gas???

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Ive seen 27 degrees with my pulley tune on a 3rd gear WOT run. I backed it down to 25.

I have the same mods as you and pulling the same #s (see sig) You are running lean. I would add fuel to that tune.

n0xlf

Established Member
Car is a 2nd run 03, YDH1 code, and I was using a tail pipe sniffer...I'm going to mail all of my stuff to Diablo to see if they will do a tune for me, since there isn't anyone in my area that will...

The 29 degrees timing came on right around 6000 RPM...I may be able to get away with the timing and fuel better than others due to the altitude (6,000 feet), but I think I'd feel safer with the AF in more of a straight line around 12...

2K3BRA

Established Member
Thats pretty fuggin lean, another reason the predator sucks. Keep running the motor like that and see what happens. Your #'s are good because of the lean a/f and too much timing. Not a good combination.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
do you happen to have the winpep file for those runs? if you don't see if the shop you dynoed at can email them to you (they are only 4 kb each) i want to overlay them with my graphs since i just dynoed my predator pullied car. 29* is a lot of timing, i only saw 25* at the most yesterday. where did you get your predator from? i would contact them right away and tell them what is going on. also i would see if you can find a dyno shop with a wideband a/f sensor to get a true reading. its hard at least by me i have only found 1 shop out of maybe 7 or 8 that i tried (including import shops) all had tailpipe.

2K3BRA

Established Member
Originally posted by SWEET94COBRA
what should the air fuel curve look like? What is too lean and too rich?

Anything above 12 with FI is considered **to lean** BAD!!

Anything 12 and below is **safe** for FI

11.5 and below is **Rich** for FI

Timing is usually in the range of 16-23 or so on these cars to be somewhat safe. 29 seems like way to much, say bye bye to those land rings.

Here is a example of a REAL dyno tune...
tune.jpg

This was from Kauffman Motorsports in Dillsburg PA. Best Mustang shop I've been to yet! :thumbsup: This was on my o1 gt!

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
If you are using 91-93 octane with 29 degrees of timing, you will hurt the motor sooner or later, 29 degrees is waaayyy to much !

silver 2003

Established Member
That 29 degress of timing would scare me a little as was said above, personally I wouldn't want to see anymore than 23 or 24, at least here in Ohio where the fuel is oxygenated in the winter. I believe the predator has around 26 degrees at the initial setting, and you can move it 10% either way, which would come out to around 29 at max setting. In our part of the country we are looking at retarding ours all the way to get closer to 23.

Users who are viewing this thread