Predator and a Tune, Why?????

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobraclone
Damn I live around here too, why do we need two tunes? Is it because of the quality of the gas?

You don't have to have 2 tunes, honestly the gas is not that bad in winter. There is much debate on winter vs summer gas. In NJ from what i understand the quality can go WAY down. Since every state has different rules on octane, additives, etc, it may not be that bad there. I know for a fact cheapo winter gas virtually killed my 300M a few years back so, i am just a bit paranoid about it. It was my fault, i was putting in the cheapest off brand gas into that car so, you get what you pay for, totally my fault. The only thing i would say about having more than 1 tune on hand would be if you wanted a strictly "track tune" you can plug in when racing, then switch back on the drive home, stuff like that. The biggest selling point is you can reflash back to a "stock tune" when lettign the dealer work on your car. As it was stated earlier, a smart dealer may see the car was reflashed. In my dealers case, i have Cooter from the Dukes of Hazzard working on my car so i would be safe. :-D

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The pcm doesn't hold the reflash info. The machine at the dealer can tell when the last time it was hooked up to the machine but you can reflash the car/truck pcm all you want and they can't tell. That is the main and sole reason I got one, you can reinstall the stock parts and stock program and they cannot tell it's been tampered with. Get one you'll love it, and talk to James at RWTD he's good people.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
The computer keeps a record of when it is reflashed.

If you dump the factory program back on the ECU when you blow your shiiiiat, then tow it to the dealer 2 days later they'll know whats up.

They'll also notice if its been reflashed and theres nothing about it in the service history..

WRONG!!! This is just misinformation from what my research has indicated. I've spoken with various experts who have personally custum tuned and analized the ECU and who know it intimately. I've even directly asked this question of a Ford SVT employee. Everyone of them tells me that the 03/04 Cobra ECU does NOT have the capability to log reprogramming events. In fact, it does not even "black box" by recording and logging data that can be recovered from a wreck.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by esqeddy
WRONG!!! This is just misinformation from what my research has indicated. I've spoken with various experts who have personally custum tuned and analized the ECU and who know it intimately. I've even directly asked this question of a Ford SVT employee. Everyone of them tells me that the 03/04 Cobra ECU does NOT have the capability to log reprogramming events. In fact, it does not even "black box" by recording and logging data that can be recovered from a wreck.

looks like I'll be getting one, where is the best place to buy?

nj7703

Established Member
Call Rick at Amazon, he did mine, and i love it. You can try RWTD too. From what i have seen these are the 2 best places to get a good custom tune too. Good luck! :)

jimwood

Established Member
Anyone know if the computer keeps the information of how fast the car was driven and max RPMS? I know the porsches have that, so the dealer plugs it in to see if the cars getting beat on.:??:

Last edited:

akaeric

Established Member
Its not a hard job to install a chip unless your lazy. You can get the tune you need or want.You can get things like your tracton control turned of by a chip to I had a Predator tune on my 2003 and I have a Apten chip the only place I could get a tune for a 2004 Cobra Brian at APten had it at my door in 3 days from payment and the code of the door. I think I got just as good if not better tune from the chip. You need to be very careful here if your not a end user you could mess something up beyond your no how or detonate your motor with the wrong fuel and air mixture with the wrong pulley and to much boost and you could detonate your motor and that would be your fault and no warrenty is going to cover it. All I'm saying is stay with in your limits of mechanical capacity and a predator you could do that if you go into the adjustment menus. Just a friendly warning not assuming any of you don't know what your doing at all so please don't take it as a insult. I would just hate to see someone with a Cobra with 1000 miles on it and have to buy a new motor. I know about detonation very well with my 300zx twin turbo.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
While we're on the topic, is it a horrible idea to switch to say a 2.8 pulley and predator and trust the tuner settings, or is it rather a must to get a custom dyno tune sooner or later to ensure a/f ratio is to a T?

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
While we're on the topic, is it a horrible idea to switch to say a 2.8 pulley and predator and trust the tuner settings, or is it rather a must to get a custom dyno tune sooner or later to ensure a/f ratio is to a T?

I think I've read where you will be fine but you will not be at optimal a/f

Does the predator work on 04's and is their a lower pulley option?

Users who are viewing this thread