Pre-Runner to the 1993 Cobra: SAAC Mk1 Mustang

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
I'm new to the forum guys, but share the same enthusiasm as everyone for the Fox body Mustangs. I don't currently own one, but spent my youth in the streets of Philadlphia and it's suburbs in the early 1990's batteling plenty of 5.0 Stangs.

I recall very clearly the 1st 1993 Cobra I saw. It was a Sunday night in the summer of 1993 and the car was hanging out at Red Lion Rd and Rooselvelt Blvd. It turned a lot of heads and everyone was trying to size up how these new Cobra's would run.

This was a Teal car, and there ended up being 2 that hung out there on Sunday's. That car left an impression on me that will last forever. Being a Chevy guy, I gravitate towards 1960's Muscle Cars. Back then, when I was in high school I was rocking my 65 Malibu SS as my daily. Lots' of fun with 88's in the rear. I have no problem admitting that I could care less then, and even more to this day about any Camaro or Monte Carlo of the era, but I want to own a Fox body Mustang. With the impression the Cobra made, I hope that I can find one that fits my taste and lifestyle (I probably mean finances really with 2 kids in daycare!)

Anyways, I'm posting on here because a friend of mine who has owned a few 5.0 Mustangs inthe past, started to get a little more serious with me when we would share links on 5.0 for sale. I kept pushing him towards the Cobra's but he wanted to find a Mustang with a blower already on it. Turns out I there is a 1989 Saleen SSC with a blower not far from where I live. We check the car out, and I start trying to research what the car is worth. Don't you know I find an SAAC Mustang that isn't really for sale, but isn't too hard to get the fellow to move on the car as he hasn't really driven it for a few years.

I'll leave some of the specifics of this particular SAAC car out right now, as this is getting preety long already.

I began to educate myself on these cars and was pretty impressed with how similar the SAAC cars and the 1993 Cobra's were. In many ways they were the Pre-Runner for the Cobra. Kinda neat how SVT worked with SAAC to get the Cobra motor through the Federal Smog certification!

Don't know how the SAAC cars are viewed around here? They kinda seem like an in-between the Cobra and the Cobra R cars. I say that because they have some unique racing features like factory roll bar (which helps to have kept these cars from craking), brake cooling ducts, 5 lug wheels, 160 mpg speedo. Seems like they are right there at the least.

Can you gus tell me if SAAC cars are welcome around here? I would really like to compare notes on how many parts crossed over to the early Cobra's.

Pics for clicks!

Here is the Saleen we looked at:
SSC95.jpg

And this the the SAAC car I'm talking about:
009.jpg

buddha93

Established Member
There is definitely a Saleen following. I've always liked Steves stuff, but I just never persued any of his cars with my wallet for whatever reason.I think for the most part, most guys give the Saleen cars credit for what they are and know that they tend to bring a bit more in the market, depending on what year the are and how they were optioned.

Now the SAAC car is a bit different in that I don't think most guys know what they are. I'm familiar with them, and I've seen some really nice ones pop up for sale, low mileage, etc. I'm kinda numb to this particular car. Ya, they've got some cool history behind them, look decent, but I don't know that I'd own one.

Is this the car that has the blower on it, with around 40k miles on it? If it is, I know he's been trying to sell for some time now.

scootro

Established Member
The SAAC cars were way overpriced and didn't sell at all. These cars are some of the rarest true production cars ever built. They were built by SAAC Car Company(not a tuner) with a possible production of 250 units predicted and advertised. The actual production total was 65. This included all prototypes, mk 1s, mk 2s and the snakes. These cars were developed with the help of Ford Motor Co. to introduce the GT40 motor package and get everything through Federal Emissions Standards in one package as opposed to each piece separately.

This saved Ford money and allowed SAAC Car Company to introduce a proven dynotested 295 horsepower 302. SVO helped with the rear disc brakes and other little tricks to help build a really Hot Mustang before anybody but tuners built such things. The initial response for these cars was so strong that Ford took note and came out with the Cobra in 1993.

Ford, obviously, could build a car cheaper than any small upstart company and they did and prematurely ended the production of the Mk 2s and Snakes. These cars were not cheap at $40,000 compared to a Cobra at $28,000 - but which one was faster? The only Mustang comparable was the Saleen SSC. The Mk 1s were built in 1991 and 1992. The Mk 2s and Snakes were built in 1993 with some being convertibles. All cars were numbered and are documented in the SAAC Registry.

Last edited:

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
There is definitely a Saleen following. I've always liked Steves stuff, but I just never persued any of his cars with my wallet for whatever reason.I think for the most part, most guys give the Saleen cars credit for what they are and know that they tend to bring a bit more in the market, depending on what year the are and how they were optioned.

Now the SAAC car is a bit different in that I don't think most guys know what they are. I'm familiar with them, and I've seen some really nice ones pop up for sale, low mileage, etc. I'm kinda numb to this particular car. Ya, they've got some cool history behind them, look decent, but I don't know that I'd own one.

Is this the car that has the blower on it, with around 40k miles on it? If it is, I know he's been trying to sell for some time now.

The one with 40k is the #15 car. It was not originally 460hp car, it was bought by an owner of a Ford dealer, and he sent it back to SAAC to have the blower installed. That car has a paxton sc.

The 3 cars that originally came with a SC were #1, 2 & 4. They never built a #3 car, as it was a reserved number that didnkt get built in time. The car I'm talking about is #4 and was more than a collector car, it was run at the track Watkins Glenn and such. It would be interesting to compare it's time compared to some of the other cars of the day.

I see a Saleen SA-10 on ebay right now, and from a performance perspective, I don't seeing it having anything on the Supercharged SAAC Mustangs. These cars are real race cars for the street. Not just some paint stripe car and one to keep low miles on. T least that is my perspective.

buddha93

Established Member
The one with 40k is the #15 car. It was not originally 460hp car, it was bought by an owner of a Ford dealer, and he sent it back to SAAC to have the blower installed. That car has a paxton sc.

The 3 cars that originally came with a SC were #1, 2 & 4. They never built a #3 car, as it was a reserved number that didnkt get built in time. The car I'm talking about is #4 and was more than a collector car, it was run at the track Watkins Glenn and such. It would be interesting to compare it's time compared to some of the other cars of the day.

I see a Saleen SA-10 on ebay right now, and from a performance perspective, I don't seeing it having anything on the Supercharged SAAC Mustangs. These cars are real race cars for the street. Not just some paint stripe car and one to keep low miles on. T least that is my perspective.

Yep, that rings a bell.

Number 4 sounds like it has some history behind it.......pretty cool.

That SA-10 is really nice. I have to wonder what it would bring at a real auction with real bidders. I know the car was expensive new, but damn! I have to wonder what the current owner thinks it's worth.

WillyB93

Established Member
Its probably hard to say what the owner would think its worth. Interesting read though
fivestangs you want to sell your car?

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
Yep, that rings a bell.

Number 4 sounds like it has some history behind it.......pretty cool.

That SA-10 is really nice. I have to wonder what it would bring at a real auction with real bidders. I know the car was expensive new, but damn! I have to wonder what the current owner thinks it's worth.

Wow, the reserve was not met at 67k on the SA-10 car! Who knows what the owner thinks it's worth, but in this market, it is encouraging to see that others would bid up that high! As I said, the Supercharged SAAC cars are an equal from my perspective. They only made 3 of them, and they were not a tuner build car. Have all of the same features plus the additional historical significance that laid the ground work for the Cobra and Cobra R cars to be conceived.

Yes, there are some really neat things, specific to the SAAC Mk1 #004 car, and I am looking to share them soon. Just wasn't sure where the best place was to share them, but this seems like a good place.

Scootro... thanks for sharing the pics and info. Do you know where I could read more about Wagner of SVO's involvment in the build? I think it is very interesting.

buddha93

Established Member
Scootro's pics with that one white and blue SAAC in the showroom is an awesome car. It was for sale not that long ago. I don't recall the asking price, but it wasn't that much from what I remember.

WillyB93

Established Member
Ok sounds good to me, I just have to get someone to let go of one though!!! This may take some time!!

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
$28,000? I bought mine for sticker which was like $20k and change...I know I only have black cloth interior, but I do have the moonroof and rear defroster....I don't think leather seats were an $8k upgrade. :shrug:

Yeah, mine was loaded (leather+sunroof) and I think it stickered at $21k and change. No ADM.

But more on topic...

Personally, I loved the SAAC cars! I still have my Mustang magazine touting the 93 SAAC convertibles... drool drool drool...

However, they were waaaay too expensive then, and generally still are now.

Last edited:

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
I'm excited to report the #4 car (original 460hp) is headed back east! Yes they were expensive then, and still are today, but they were also a very serious race car for the street. They only made 30 of the MkI cars, which to me- are the upper crust of coolness both in the history, but also in the fact they were the most equipped from a performance stand point. Just like all the Fox body Mustangs who helped to create the legendary status of the car by earning their reputation by actually delivering the goods and winning in real world environments, the SAAC MkI is super cool in my book.

Nothing to take away from the Cobra's but the SAAC MKI cars had roll bars, brake cooling ducts, Koni custom suspension with stiff springs, and all the cool early GT40 stuff a fox body nut loves! Can't wait to share more on the car as we uncover the story of it's past.

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
Fresh off PA Inspection and Dyno Checked

SAAC004018.jpg

So now that SAAC MkI Mustang #004 is in PA it ran though inspection with just a few issue like rear axle seals and such. Car seems really solid and we wanted to see how solid the tune was on the factor 460hp car. It is pretty cool that Steve Grebeck was so hands-on with the Supercharged cars.

SAAC_MKI_article_001.jpg

Just like Grebeck was pioneering the Fox Body Mustangs performance, I was street racing in Philly in 1992 and saw how JD was earning a reputation of making some fast Fox Body Mustangs even faster! I knew he was the right person to check the tune on this car since he was doing it back in the day when the cars were new and is still at it, better than ever.

SAAC004023.jpg

Dyno Pull Video:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBQ5dPudsaA&feature=player_embedded"]‪SAAC004.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

dynosheet004.jpg

I must say this thing is really smooth and predictable with very safe A/F ratio and timing for the 8 psi set-up!

IMG_3787.jpg

Here is Anthony on the left and Marcello who ran the dyno at JD's Auto Repair and Performance Center

IMG_3788.jpg

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Very nice PxTx! I knew a guy that had one of the 3 cars. His name was Sam Pamponella and was a huge car collector in S. Florida. Question for you: These cars had the blowers put on waaay before discharge tubes/BOV's, so does the SC have a very distinct sound when letting off the throttle?

I used to love that sound, as I had a Vortech A trim on my 93' cobra in 94'.

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
Thanks for the complements guys. The #004 car was originally owned by DiMarzo and is the car pictured in the magazine shot above. The car later changed hands to a another fellow, Eber who also was one of the higher-up in the Shelby Club organization and a fellow who worked hand-in-hand with Rick Kopec to build these cars. Kopec was also the 3rd owner of #004 and president of the SAAC organization.

Kopec sold the car to Charley Lillard who is both a really cool car collector and the type of guy who is not afraid to drive them. He collects lots of nostalgic cars, but also commissions new builds, his latest being a 69 Camaro named "Jackass". I've know Charley for about 10 years and when I started asking about the Saleen SSC cars, that i when he brought up the fact he had the #004 SAAC Mustang and would be willing to sell it to a good home.

The car has about 20k on it and has been a true performance it's whole life. From DiMarzo using it to impress potential customers, it's participation in the Shelby Club racing events, to the tail lamp kill switch in the ash tray for real life Cannonball events... this car delivers performance and can back it up!

As much as I would like to think I am capable of driving a car like this, I do believe I am not capable of seeing it's full potential around a track. Well at least for now, and I don't want to speak for Anthony. Wouldn't mind taking it to a few serious Auto-X events later this summer.

Being one of the 3 factory SC cars is rather unique. I know there have been other SAAC cars which have had blowers added to them. The #015 car was sent back to the factory to have a Paxton installed, but it was not originally delivered with it. I also know of a fellow with #XX2 which also had a Paxton added later on in life. I think that car was/is from Florida too.

To the best of my knowledge, the 3 factory SC cars all had Vortec blowers. I'm actually looking into the reason why. Vortec was a big sponsor in Pro 5.0 drag racing and with the influence of Steve Grebeck setting these cars up, that may be the reason. We'll see.

I don't know if any of the MkII or Snakes received blowers from the factory, but I somehow doubt it since they were seriously struggling with price by then.

Car does sound great with the blower. The off throttle sound isn't like hearing an old turbo Rally Audi off throttle with that compressor staling flutter, but ow that you mention it - I'll have to listen more closely.

Users who are viewing this thread