Pre-law degree - What can I do with it?

ayo232

Established Member
I'm entering my senior year this Fall and will be graduating with a B.S. degree in Legal Studies/Pre-law. I'm currently working in a law firm (a low position; nothing to really do with law), and I've been looking for something else. However, I'm unsure of the routes I can go...

I've decided that I do not want to attend law school and I'm not really interested in becoming a paralegal. So my question is, what else can I do with this degree? The only response I keep hearing is LEO, but I'm not interesting in the career, although the job seems interesting.

Anyone have any advice? :beer:

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
I'm entering my senior year this Fall and will be graduating with a B.S. degree in Legal Studies/Pre-law. I'm currently working in a law firm (a low position; nothing to really do with law), and I've been looking for something else. However, I'm unsure of the routes I can go...

I've decided that I do not want to attend law school and I'm not really interested in becoming a paralegal. So my question is, what else can I do with this degree? The only response I keep hearing is LEO, but I'm not interesting in the career, although the job seems interesting.

Private Security (Renta-Cop) or Body Guard but that's about it.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Like you said leo or maybe a government agent, like homeland security or somthing like that

oilwell1415

Established Member
With a very specific degree like that you are probably stuck with something in the legal area. It's not like a technical degree that can spill over into several fields. There are several jobs out there that only require a degree, but not anything specific. That's probably where you're headed.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

It is a four year degree that teaches you to critically think. You dont need to find a job that relates directly to the degree. Find a job that requires the skill sets you have learned. For example, the ability to research, the ability to interpret laws, the ability to write a cogent grammatically correct sentence/paragraph, etc.

Go back and review the classes you have taken and see what interests you and what skills you have attained, then figure out a job or series of jobs that matches that.

If you go to any of the various job sites and look for entry level jobs you should be qualified for quite a few that simple require a 4 yr degree. You wont be qualified for jobs that require specific skill sets, such as engineering, accounting, nursing, etc. But the spectrum of jobs is wide open. Think outside the box in which your degree is stuck.

Sil80sx

Established Member
It is a four year degree that teaches you to critically think. You dont need to find a job that relates directly to the degree. Find a job that requires the skill sets you have learned. For example, the ability to research, the ability to interpret laws, the ability to write a cogent grammatically correct sentence/paragraph, etc.

Go back and review the classes you have taken and see what interests you and what skills you have attained, then figure out a job or series of jobs that matches that.

If you go to any of the various job sites and look for entry level jobs you should be qualified for quite a few that simple require a 4 yr degree. You wont be qualified for jobs that require specific skill sets, such as engineering, accounting, nursing, etc. But the spectrum of jobs is wide open. Think outside the box in which your degree is stuck.

Innovative at its best.

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
Just out of curiosity where did you go to school? Around here you don't actually see a pre-law major in undergrad or pre-med major either. So maybe someone could fill me in, maybe its a geographic phenomenon.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
As far as I know, schools do not have a "pre-law/med" major. As you can see, he's getting a B.S. in Legal Studies, which likely includes a curriculum that is designed to develop writing, critical thinking, and comprehension abilities. Not saying this is the case with the OP, but 9/10 people that say they're "pre-law/med" are just trying to impress someone.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Just having a degree period opens up a lot of closed doors... I don't have one at all and I'm finding developer jobs with locked doors. Doesn't matter what I know or how good I am... unless I have that paper the doors locked. A 2 year Lib Arts degree would get me hired in a heartbeat though. As said by FORDSVTFAN you don't need to look for something that directly relates to the degree.. you can use your skills in nearly any career you can think of.

ayo232

Established Member
As far as I know, schools do not have a "pre-law/med" major. As you can see, he's getting a B.S. in Legal Studies, which likely includes a curriculum that is designed to develop writing, critical thinking, and comprehension abilities. Not saying this is the case with the OP, but 9/10 people that say they're "pre-law/med" are just trying to impress someone.

I'm not trying to "impress anyone." It's what it is. The degree is essentially what one would study in law school, but of course not as rigorously. For example, there's legal writing, research, ethics, along with all the varieties of specific classes including criminal, domestic, property, maritime, et cetera. It's technically Legal Studies/Paralegal/Pre-Law, which is why I stated the degree the way I did in the OP.

Pre-law because you can't do shit other than law school haha

Why go to school and study something you have no interest in?

Who said I have no interest in it?

Last edited:

bluestang41505

Established Member
I got my B.S. In real estate which as a requirement I had to take business law, which covered torts, advertising laws, etc. Also took Real Estate Law. I learned just as much about law as real estate. There is no pre law where i'm from. Just go to law school, if ya have the background you won't be thrown in the fire like most people going into law shcool. Get the degree and no doors will be shut to you.

Users who are viewing this thread