Pre-deployment question.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Good morning all,

Sorry for the Noob question.

I'm headed out the door on deployment in middle Feb. my car has been covered since November. We are expecting some weather this weekend in the 50-55 degree range. (can't drive it, insurance status is stored).

I know that majority of engine wear comes from cold start ups, but I was wonder if it's a good idea to start the car up for a few minutes to get the oil circulating and getting the metal parts coated again.

so to make a long story longer...

The car has been parked and not started since Nov and I won't be back until Sept 2011. Is it better to just leave it like it is or is there any benefit to starting it (stored 10 months or oil circulated and stored 6 months)?

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
Well if you have USAA you can put if back in "drivable staus" for a day and they will just prorate the insurance. I would change the oil fuel stabilizer and full tank of gas. Either disconnect the battery if not going to connect a trickle charger. Be prepared to buy a new set of tires after you get back. due to flat spots on tires. Hopefully not though

steeltoe

Established Member
Its generally not good for cars to sit for long periods with out being started at all. I would suggest having someone you trust start your car once a week or twice a month.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I've heard to just leave it. Jack it up, change the oil, add fuel stabilizer, disconnect the battery. If you do decide to start it, I would reccommend letting it idle for awhile to warm up (30-45 min). You want it to warm up so it doesn't leave condensation. Good luck and stay safe while being deployed.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
+1 to most of the above.
I'd put the car on jack stands. If you can't have anyone start it you can pull the plugs and spray some wd-40 in the cylinders.

Stalker27

Established Member
Tom I would have the wifey start it up twice a week and let run for 5min and I also like the jack stand idea

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
i would def jack it up before you leave if you can to prevent tire problems, and def add fuel stabilizer.

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
Tommy, I vote letting the wife DRIVE it while you are gone. :D And what the heck, I thought you were done deploying????? The best to you, as always and be sure to give me your address. xoxoxo

Users who are viewing this thread