pre-deployment question

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Good morning all,

Sorry for the Noob question.

I'm headed out the door on deployment in middle Feb. my car has been covered since November. We are expecting some weather this weekend in the 50-55 degree range. (can't drive it, insurance status is stored).

I know that majority of engine wear comes from cold start ups, but I was wonder if it's a good idea to start the car up for a few minutes to get the oil circulating and getting the metal parts coated again.

so to make a long story longer...

The car has been parked and not started since Nov and I won't be back until Sept 2011. Is it better to just leave it like it is or is there any benefit to starting it (stored 10 months or oil circulated and stored 6 months)?

steves04cobra

Established Member
I would start the car and let it run for about 20 mins. And if you can have someone do that for you atleast once a month while you are gone. I also know that if you have USAA the car can be driven but only about 200 miles a year.

Steeda04SVT

Team Bareass New Mexico
Established Member
If you want nobody to drive it as well but started up then I'd have the car on jack stands to keep from flat spotting the tires as well.

03cobraracer

Established Member
yeah as others said just have it started and moved if you can, but at least let it run for a while now and maybe drive it a little. i leave for OSUT myself in a week and im luckily having my buddy drive the car for me once a month.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
i leave for OSUT myself in a week and im luckily having my buddy drive the car for me once a month.

Take this with a grain of salt...I don't think that's such a hot idea.
Start, yes. Drive, no.
Alot of bad can happen with that scenario. If he gets in an accident and he isn't listed on your insurance it would be a major cluster ****.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Also- fuel goes bad after about 30-45 days. Put some fuel stabilizer in or you could end up with some very costly repairs. I'd say have it started and driven at least once a month.... Doesn't have to be far. Around the block will do.

Gl on your deployment:beer:

03cobraracer

Established Member
Take this with a grain of salt...I don't think that's such a hot idea.
Start, yes. Drive, no.
Alot of bad can happen with that scenario. If he gets in an accident and he isn't listed on your insurance it would be a major cluster ****.

oh trust me i thought about that one already. that why only he is allowed to drive it. hes my best friend and knows how to handle a powerful car. plus he lives out of state now so he will only be home once and a while, its only going around the block and then back in the driveway. im not giving him the keys he has to come get them from my parents to even take the car, so i wil know if he tried to go joyriding all day in it.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
my Cobra's been covered since Sep 10th.. fuel stabilizer and a full tank of Chevron 91 octane, doors locked and battery disconnected..

last time I went on a deployment, tied the cover on, full tank of NEX gas, no fuel stabilizer and battery disconected.. when I got home, cut the cover off, reconnected the battery and drove 250 miles (on the 6 month old gas) didn't have any problems at all.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
oh trust me i thought about that one already. that why only he is allowed to drive it. hes my best friend and knows how to handle a powerful car. plus he lives out of state now so he will only be home once and a while, its only going around the block and then back in the driveway. im not giving him the keys he has to come get them from my parents to even take the car, so i wil know if he tried to go joyriding all day in it.

just around the block.. that's hard on the car.. your engine doesn't get warm enough to vaporize the condensation that will collect and your oil will have to absorb that (and hope it doesn't turn to acid) .. if he's going to drive it, put 20 miles on it.. everything will be warm and there won't be any condensation in the tranny, differential or engine after that)

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
just around the block.. that's hard on the car.. your engine doesn't get warm enough to vaporize the condensation that will collect and your oil will have to absorb that (and hope it doesn't turn to acid) .. if he's going to drive it, put 20 miles on it.. everything will be warm and there won't be any condensation in the tranny, differential or engine after that)

Good point:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread