Pre Delivery Paint Blems - What to do?

BCPD199

Established Member
My ordered '14 SGM w/ Red stripes came off the truck Thursday afternoon. During the PDI, they spotted two paint blemishes. Actually one blem and one damage area. The blem is on the passenger side front fender right above the wheel well. It's a whitish crescent moon spot about the size of a thumb nail clipping. In fact, just picture a thumb nail clipping in the paint and you've got mental image of what I'm talking about. The damage is two small nicks in the rear bumper down to the black bumper material. First off before anybody suggests "live with", I can't. I understand your reasoning; but, it's not an option. Long story short, it's going to need paint work. The front fender will need to spotted in and I'm assuming the whole fender clear coated. The PDI manager was afraid the body shop would have to paint the entire fender and blend into the door. Do I walk away? Give the body shop a chance and see how it comes out?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
id research the body shop's reputation...my F150 had delivery damage with 2 paint chips right in the crease of the door, they had to clear the whole door etc...I knew they had a good body shop, I spent 10-15 minutes in direct sun, in the shade, under a light and theres not a single hint that anything was done to the paint

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Unless you were going to put the car in a bubble never (and I mean never ever) drive it, then just walking away is a ludicrous proposition. I would expect the blemishes to be repaired before I take delivery. Let them fix it, that's what they are there for. If they fail to meet your satisfaction in the repair, then consider walking.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless you were going to put the car in a bubble never (and I mean never ever) drive it, then just walking away is a ludicrous proposition. I would expect the blemishes to be repaired before I take delivery. Let them fix it, that's what they are there for. If they fail to meet your satisfaction in the repair, then consider walking.

x2
Unless you were on the fence and looking for an out, no way walk yet.
Sorry to hear.
My '04 Cobra had 3 paint flaws fixed before I took delivery, all were fixed perfectly by the dealer. Factory paint on my 2014 100x better than the 2004.
I can't be happier with my SGM paint, I think it would hide any repairs very well also.
-J

BCPD199

Established Member
id research the body shop's reputation...my F150 had delivery damage with 2 paint chips right in the crease of the door, they had to clear the whole door etc...I knew they had a good body shop, I spent 10-15 minutes in direct sun, in the shade, under a light and theres not a single hint that anything was done to the paint

I've heard both good and bad. My faith is in the dealership. They're a top rated dealer. I can't believe they got that by using a sub-par auto shop.

Thanks, and that's pretty much where I left it with them. Salesman naturally wanted to do the paperwork; but, I refused and said let's see how everything turns out first. It just sucks needing paint work already on a brand new car.

DNT H8

Established Member
What ever you decide DO NOT have them blend!! The car is to new to really matter, and blends are a easy to botch. Factory paint as far as clear coat characteristics is hard to match.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I wouldn't worry about this, unfortunately it happens all the time (with all manufactures). Some dealers farm the work out if they can't handle it.

G/L with all

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
the damage happens in the trains heading to the truck lots, especially with ford. have them fix it, if looks good take delivery.

BCPD199

Established Member
What ever you decide DO NOT have them blend!! The car is to new to really matter, and blends are a easy to botch. Factory paint as far as clear coat characteristics is hard to match.

Kind of what I'm worried about is how the clear coat looks two - three years down the road. I would think they could spot -blend the colored area on the fender without going near the door; but, I'm not a body/paint guy.

It happens,,,, let dealer fix it, if not satisfied, either walk or re-negotiate your deal.

That's where I am now on it. I told them to get it fixed and then let's take another look at it. I know in reality, this easily could of (and I'm sure has) happened to any of our cars. An in-stock model would of been fixed before any of us would of/could of spotted it and we never would be the wiser.

I wouldn't worry about this, unfortunately it happens all the time (with all manufactures). Some dealers farm the work out if they can't handle it. G/L with all

Thanks. This dealer does not have an in house body shop. It will be farmed out. Fingers crossed it all looks good next week when it's done.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I wouldn't worry about this, unfortunately it happens all the time (with all manufactures). Some dealers farm the work out if they can't handle it.

G/L with all

This! Most dealers farm out warranty paint work. I'd find out where it's going for the repair & go speak with the painter in person. Express your concerns with him about the repair. Sometimes a case of beer goes a long way in matters like these! :beer:

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Then just walk.

You can find an allocation and order again. Unless you got it for invoice, you should be out nothing on this. No brainier. Get your dream car without strings. Dreams with strings become tangled nightmares. And life is bitter enough without screwing up your dreams too.

BCPD199

Established Member
This! Most dealers farm out warranty paint work. I'd find out where it's going for the repair & go speak with the painter in person. Express your concerns with him about the repair. Sometimes a case of beer goes a long way in matters like these! :beer:

Not a bad idea! Thanks.

5.0 guy

Established Member
My 08 had the rear spoiler repainted before delivery and my 13 had torn up rear tires and a long scratch under the drivers snake which they were able to buff out. Give it a chance and then decide for sure. My 08 still only has a 1,000 miles on the clock and even now I never look at it any different then perfect, go with your feelings after they do the repair and you will know what to do! Good luck

BCPD199

Established Member
My 08 had the rear spoiler repainted before delivery and my 13 had torn up rear tires and a long scratch under the drivers snake which they were able to buff out. Give it a chance and then decide for sure. My 08 still only has a 1,000 miles on the clock and even now I never look at it any different then perfect, go with your feelings after they do the repair and you will know what to do! Good luck

Thanks for your experience as well. We'll find out late next week I guess. Fingers crossed!

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Then just walk.

You can find an allocation and order again. Unless you got it for invoice, you should be out nothing on this. No brainier. Get your dream car without strings. Dreams with strings become tangled nightmares. And life is bitter enough without screwing up your dreams too.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I almost bought a brand new ZR1 until I found out it had some paint work on it. I knew that I couldn't live with it so I ended up passing on it.

Ask the dealer to reorder you a GT500 and ask for a discount as compensation. The ordering deadline is coming up soon, so keep that in mind.

mullens

Established Member
I'm not sure I'd take such drastic action as demanding another car or walking away. Do you really want to go through that ordering hassle again for a few imperfections? And who's to say the next car won't have the same or worse? In the 25+ new cars I've bought none of them were perfect. Even my current car has an imperfection on the trunk. No biggie who cares. How many chips, dings and scratches is your car going to get in it's lifetime? Drive it home and enjoy.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
IF you really need these items repaired I would let the dealer do it. I wouldn't ask for a new car unless they really butcher the repair. For the hassle and stress to your new Shelby what about asking for a gratis extended warranty? Or, future oil changes? The tire warranty?

Tom

Kapy

Established Member
Welcome to the club.

If you cannot handle a re shoot of a couple panels, well then walk.

But I believe many of us have had the same issues with paint blems.

In the end the car is painted right next to a base Mustang. No difference in quality or inspection.

Just like others have mentioned, I too have had to have the dealer repaint before and after I took delivery of vehicles I have owned. Part of having a car really.

Get it painted, move on and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread