Pre-deliver Engine Testing

Cosmicdrifter

Established Member
I recently read that the Nissan GT-R's engine is put on a stand and run for 10 minutes, wide-open and then installed. I was wondering if anyone knows if the hand-built Cobra engines had a similar pre-delivery inspection.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I find it hard to believe any engine will last 10mins of wot. The cobra engine was assembled and installed into the car. It did not go through any engine stand testing.

Last edited:

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/charts/029.pdf

Ford crate motors may be subjected to 50 hours WOT for endurance testing.

If you read Iron fist lead foot, in the book they talk about same type of testing procedures ford performed while they were putting together 03/04 cobra motor. Testing the limits of the parts. Hance one of the reasons why ford installed manly connecting rod in terminator motors. Because they kept breaking stock rods at factory hp level. Everything else held up fine..

Last edited:

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
If you read Iron fist lead foot, in the book they talk about same type of testing procedures ford performed while they were putting together 03/04 cobra motor. Testing the limits of the parts. Hance one of the reasons why ford installed manly connecting rod in terminator motors. Because they kept breaking stock rods at factory hp level. Everything else held up fine..

This. If I remember correctly they had to pass standards with 300 hours of straight dyno testing. Early on they were going through motors left and right, after they introduced the Manly rods and other components they were able to hit the 300 hour mark easily.
Edit: I was speaking of the test engines, not every individual engine

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
In the book iron fist lead foot they didn't talk about running each engine before installing it in the car. It did mention though the tests that were done during assembly. One mentioned is that they pressurized each engine to make sure there wasn't any oil leaks, etc.

MY DREAM

Established Member
In the book Iron Fist lead foot they also spoke of how the terminator engine was tested at 100% load and it would burn through a tank of gas in under 5 min. I did get a laminated cert in my trunk that said my car was selected for QA test and was drivin for up to 30 miles. Bought the car new with 32 miles on it. Rolled it out of the showroom floor and through the double glass doors when I bought it.

James

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
In the book Iron Fist lead foot they also spoke of how the terminator engine was tested at 100% load and it would burn through a tank of gas in under 5 min. I did get a laminated cert in my trunk that said my car was selected for QA test and was drivin for up to 30 miles. Bought the car new with 32 miles on it. Rolled it out of the showroom floor and through the double glass doors when I bought it.

James

Haha they also said that they were having a hard time with gearing in the beginning. First gear would string out all the way up to 70mph! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread